Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speying a bitch info

Speying a bitch info

Hi folks ,

Long story short , I've generously been given an absolute cracker of a lab bitch , 2.5yrs old .
    She's fantastic in every way in home , out stalking, beating etc
    ..... She has been hip & eye tested by previous person and the eyes are fantastic but hip score is not good at all, I was asked when given her not to breed from her , which I agree with .
    My query is I've always had dogs not bitches , I understand it reduces chances of some cancers , phantom pregnancys etc .... But .... Once she's done will she still attract dogs every 6 months or so ? Or is that completely eliminated ? Also what ball park figure should the op cost?

Just wondered as never had experience of this .

Paul

Once spayed she won't go into season so no need to worry about the dogs sniffing around. I a. Sure these things are cheaper up your way but down here in Sussex you will pay around 250ish for the op.

We had our Jack Russell bitch done recently. I'm sure there are cheaper vets but we ended up paying 267. This included the op to include all drugs, the stitches out and some vet recommended "recovery" food. The last item probably unnecessary but my wife couldnt say no! She was in on the Wednesday and stitches out 10 tens later. FIGHTING fit! The vets are now quite funny about them licking the stitches which is instinct to do. Get a blow up collar not one of the plastic cone types - worth the extra and you have it for the future.
    Good luck.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Thank you folks

Paul

I'm the same as u only had dogs, but my mate had his bitch speyed recently (5yr old lab) and said u want to do it smack in the middle inbetween her seasons (ie 3 months after her last season) but i'm sure ur vet will tell u that.

Cheers country boy ,
    I just got told that today by another lad was speaking to
    She's due around April so think get done this summer

Somewhere between 200-300 is about right.

It's a great benefit to the dogs health with a reduction in perianal related illnesses as well as eradicating the risk of Pyometra.

There seems to still be a lot of die hard folk out there that thing spaying ruins a dog with excuses such as weight gains, Sure some dogs appear to put on weight after being spayed but the simple answer is to cut the food intake.

We had our lab done at about the same age, she's 5-6 now as still the same dog through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Hi folks ,

Long story short , I've generously been given an absolute cracker of a lab bitch , 2.5yrs old .
    She's fantastic in every way in home , out stalking, beating etc
    ..... She has been hip & eye tested by previous person and the eyes are fantastic but hip score is not good at all, I was asked when given her not to breed from her , which I agree with .
    My query is I've always had dogs not bitches , I understand it reduces chances of some cancers , phantom pregnancys etc .... But .... Once she's done will she still attract dogs every 6 months or so ? Or is that completely eliminated ? Also what ball park figure should the op cost?

Just wondered as never had experience of this .

Paul

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    We've had both our cocker and lab bitches spayed. Both were between 2 and 3 at the time.

The lab was done as she had pyometra, whereas the cocker was done after she had a caesarean.

No trouble with them putting on weight, but their coats have certainly thickened up considerably since the operation.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Sounds like a goer for me then, save any accidental arrivals or health problems later

Groundwork has been done with hip & eye scores .... No point bringing on another generation carrying the same inherited problems

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    No point bringing on another generation carrying the same inherited problems
    If only there was more people like you! To many see the coin before the welfare.