tasco titan

mjjl

hello all,
has anyone used one of these scopes and if so what are your views of them. i'm torn between getting one of these or spending an extra couple of hundred pounds on something like a schmidt and bender.
thanks
mark.

Hi Mjjl,
Frankly mate I thought that tasco were for air rifles. :confused: You really do need to think about buying a better and yes, more expensive scope; even if its a Leuopold or something in that price range. The scope is the most essential part of deer stalking. Get the best you can afford mate. Honestly you won't regret it!

thats what i thought mate although the titans are supposedto be tasco's top of the range scopes i was sceptical as i havent heard much about them.

Its only my opinion mate but Leupolds are a nice in-expensive scope. You get alot for your money. Cheaper still through Cabelas.

I use a Meopta 6x42 - and like it a lot, and they were very good value, but now becoming more expensive. S&B are wonderful, likewise Swarovski and Zeiss. And Leupolds are also tough and used by most American Hunters, but optics are not quite as good as German / Austrian scopes - the latter will give you about ten mins more shooting time at last light.

The best value by far are the fixed 6x42's - especially the S&B Hungarian, and if you don't have a lot of pennies spend your money on a good fixed power, rather than a cheaper Zoom. And here are usually plenty of good 2nd hand fixed power scopes around as people trade up to a zoom.

I once bought a cheaper scope for my .22 (£100 ish of Japanese origin)- its still on there and but have regrettd the purchase ever since, but can't really justify at the moment putting something better on it.

Scopes are tricky little items to get right, and generally speaking the more you pay, the better you do, however you have to consider what you want it for. I have S&B, Pecar-Berlin, IOR all sorts on my rifles, I also have Tasco Target/Varmint 6-22X42 on my 22 lr, turns a rabbit at 100 yards into an Elephant! it's been on the rifle for a few years and the zero has never moved.

Now then Mr B, education time :lol: :lol: , I had an RWS 3-9 (still got somewhere in fact) air rifle scope on a Hornet for a good while and it served it's purpose perfectly. What you have to bear in mind that a springer air rifle kicks the living **** out of a scope and they have to be tough to survive. Many hunters have, and still do use "air rifle" scopes on their rifles, they are tough.

So, I suppose what I am saying is that generally speaking the more you pay for a recognised brand of scope the better off you are, but, it ain't necessarily so :eek:

John

The one thing I believe with many Rimfire and Airrifle scopes is the Parallex or focus of the objective lens is set for 40 or 60 yds as opposed to 100yds for centre fire scope. This is an issue on high power scopes - as it causes a change in zero - thats why many high power airrifle scopes have adjustable parallex on the objective lens - but much less so than at lower power.

Agree on the that springers kick hell out of scopes - thats why many use one piece monunts as opposed to two piece that we use on centre fire rifles. Springers also vibrate and recoil is in both directions as the piston moves up and down.

thanks for the advice, looks like the credit card is going to get another kicking then.

Study the second hand market, by either a
S&B or Leupold (they have the best service in case you get a dud) use
it until you want to upgrade and sell to the same price as purchased.
Scopes are for free then. :lol:
As long as you don't destroy it, the quality product will sell again.

The moment you walk out of a shop with a new whatever scope the value
just dropped.

edi

JAYB said:
I also have Tasco Target/Varmint 6-22X42 on my 22 lr, turns a rabbit at 100 yards into an Elephant! it's been on the rifle for a few years and the zero has never moved.

John
as jonh says
these are good scopes and i know several people who hav them on a .243 , i once considered the same my self but a pecar came up instead at half the price
my advice john is turn your magnifacation down then they will look like rabbits :lol:
or lay off the whisky for a day or to :lol:

Ive used a tasco Titan with a 30mm tube & i couldnt fault it. The Titan range is completely different from the usual tasco scopes you see about. Tasco went out of business a few years back & the name was bought by some company in Taiwan. They started churning out crap that has flooded the country with poor quality scopes with cheap crap lenses that i wouldnt even put on an air rifle. Just take a look on ebay & you will see for yourself. The last decent Tasco scope that was built by the original Tasco company was the EXP model. i still have one in its box that will be put on a rifle some day for rabbiting or something.
The Titan range is being built by the original Tasco company so dont be fooled into it being cheap like the others on the market.
I now use S&B scopes on all my rifles & i personally i think there 1 of the best scopes on the market but i would definately consider a Titan as cost effective alternative. Garlands are the sole importer for the Titan range so give them a visit or call them for the full run down on them. :D

scopes

Have a look at burris or bushnell. I use bushnell scopes and they are ok. My finances are strictly limited and i agree that the top line continental scopes are lovely. but you cut your cloth.....

I have a 3-9 x 50 banner on my .30-06 and a 3-9 x 40 trophy on my 7mm08 i like them both. but before you buy over here on ebay.com (american ebay)

swampy

ended up biting the bullet and bought a swaroski i figure its a scope for life so the cost can be justified. thanks for your input guys i appreciate it.
mark.

mjjl said:
ended up biting the bullet and bought a swaroski i figure its a scope for life so the cost can be justified. thanks for your input guys i appreciate it.
mark.
you will not regret it your decision in the long run, even though your pocket may be empty now
good luck on your hunting
stone

stone said:
my advice john is turn your magnifacation down then they will look like rabbits :lol:
or lay off the whisky for a day or to :lol:

Don't be daft! The Elephant size rabiits are my excuse for the whisky :lol: I only turn the magnification down when I am pouring the whisky :eek:

John

i took a budget scope into my dealer to fit to a .243, and he said "f**k off, i'm not fitting that, you woulnt walk into an opticians and ask for a sh!t pair of glasses, would you?".

hence i bought a 30mm 8*56 S&B hungarian - fantastic.

i have just bought a "mint" vx111 6.5 - 20 x 50 secondhand to put on my .243 as 8*56 is destined for a .308 when variation comes through. the variable scope is very nice and the fine cross hairs make for precise shot placement, but it doesn't gather light in the same way as the 8*56.

i think second hand is the way forward.

good binos are just as, if not more important.

hi bucksden
i am not to sure that secondhand scopes are the way forward as that was all i could afford at on time and some did give me some serious headaches,
if you know the scopes background that is a bonus but a new scope gives you some guarantee and scopes these days are pretty cheap in comparison to the use they will get ,
but you are spot on with the binos mate , they are one piece of equipment that i rely on more than anything
ATB
stone

Back