Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .177 FAC Air ?

.177 FAC Air ?

Has anyone any experience with .177 FAC Air.
    Pros & Cons
    Thanks

Regular Poster
    I haven't, but I do have experience with .22 and .25 FAC air rifles, plus lots of .177 sub 12ft/lbs guns. My thoughts are that a .177 at say 18ft/lb would be a very effective bunny basher with a similar trajectory and drop to a FAC .22 at 25ft/lb. However, the issue would be that the will be very few pellets available that can handle that power so you will struggle to feed it. Certainly, to my knowledge, no one makes dedicated, solidly built, heavy for calibre .177 pellets such as those available for the .22 (Bisley magnums or heavy Daystates for example). This would limit the maximum power to around 20ft/lbs max, so you may as well get a .22 at 35ft/lbs, which is flatter shooting, and imparts more energy to whatever you are aiming at. Recoil isn't a factor in fac air rifles anyway so the .177 will be less useful in every way than the equivalent .22. The fact that the .22 is more efficient means you get more shots per fill all else being equal, and means that you will only lose one or two per fill running the 35ft/lb set up in .22. Win win really. IMHO the best FAC rifle is actually a variable power .25 with a max power at around 40ft/lbs and a second setting at around 10ft/lbs. This is as flat or flatter than a 12ft/lb .177, imparts more energy, and the second setting makes it a capable rat and feral pigeon gun in farm buildings. It is also easy to load as all the .25 pellets are reasonably heavily built.
    What were you thinking about using it for btw?

Hello EP,Alistair has just about summed it all up. Fac .177 just doesn't have the range of pellets that .22 does and you can get the same fps and accuracy with more ft/lbs with the 22.

Some of the 177 in FAC are better on air than the 22 in FAC form, have a look on the BSA web site and you can see the differences on different power levels.

Thanks for the replies. Its just an option I have. Being in NI it will be FAC rated anyway. I was looking at a BSA super ten in 177. It will be for short range work as I already have a 22lr.
    I was wondering about accuracy and limited pellet choice

Do (seriously) consider the Weirhauch HW100 before you buy the Super 10 - if you still prefer the Super 10 then go second hand cos there'll be plenty around!

Also, consider .20 - an excellent in-between and H&N do good pellets in this calibre
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

My S400 Extra at 34 ftLb in 22 works well with air arms 15.something grain pellets, zero at 45 yds to aim suquare on to 50 yds on bunny head. And it's for sale ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Its just an option I have. Being in NI it will be FAC rated anyway. I was looking at a BSA super ten in 177. It will be for short range work as I already have a 22lr.
    I was wondering about accuracy and limited pellet choice
    Dont bother with .177, get a .22 running around 30 ft-lb with 16 gr pellets, the 16 & 18 gr AA fields will have a similar trajectory to a sub 12 .177 but hit a lot harder being a soft pellet they do expand a little at sub 40 yards too. At 22-24 ft-lb a .177 will just drill through everything!

I have a Superten, 280 quid plus 100 for a service from rancid Tom and it is awesome, but one thing to consider is that parts are getting hard to get hold of as it's been out of production for nearly 10 years, most issues are just seals though so not too bad. Won't be changing mine until something goes badly wrong with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Certainly, to my knowledge, no one makes dedicated, solidly built, heavy for calibre .177 pellets such as those available for the .22 (Bisley magnums or heavy Daystates for example).
    Plenty of heavier .177 pellets at around 10.5 grains available including bismags, H&N barracuda sport, crosman premiers all would cope fine at FAC levels. Daystate also do a dedicated FAC pellet that is up around 15-16 gr I believe.

FAC in .177 is super flat but you can only go up to 22 to 25 Ft/Lbs before they start to tumble. You also get a lot of through shots and you can get into the trans-sonic zone, round 1000 ft/sec where most airgun pellets start getting unstable.

In my experience it is a minority choice as a .22 at 30 ft/lbs, like my Rapid, hits them a lot harder. Look at .20 if you want lighter & flatter would be my advice.