Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet and .223 loading costs

Hornet and .223 loading costs

Just looking for some feedback on reloading costs (lets say per round for consistantcy)
    on .17 hornet, .22 hornet and .223rem please gents.
    Assuming i have all the loading gear already.
    Which is the most cost effective to reload?
    Considering replacing the rabbit rifle (currently a hmr). Dont want a .22rimmy
    Already have a .223 so that seems the logical option but i shoot a lot of rabbits so we need to get as close to cost of hmr ammo as possible to make it cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Just looking for some feedback on reloading costs (lets say per round for consistantcy)
    on .17 hornet, .22 hornet and .223rem please gents.
    Assuming i have all the loading gear already.
    Which is the most cost effective to reload?
    Considering replacing the rabbit rifle (currently a hmr). Dont want a .22rimmy
    Already have a .223 so that seems the logical option but i shoot a lot of rabbits so we need to get as close to cost of hmr ammo as possible to make it cost effective.

I have a .223 which I load with Tac and 52 gr A-max for 38p per round.

My .22hornet loaded with Lil gun and 35grain v-max costs 32p per round or 28p per round laded with a Sierra soft point. This could be cheaper if I use h110 which would be 2 grains less of powder so you're down around HMR money easily.

My HMR will be up for sale very soon, now I have the hornet it just sits in the cabinet, definitely head shots only if you want to eat them though!

If you go with the Hornet you can cast your own bullets, oold pot gas burner ladle and a lot of care, get wheel weights from your local tyre fitter, cheap as chips

Dont overlook 17 Fireball an excellent little round, IMO better then both the 17 and 22 hornet in all aspects.
    My handloads work out at 34p around not taking into account the initial purchase of 100 factory rounds and 100 new cases.

Ian.

Soft points in a .22 hornet with H110 is as cheap as it gets, easily beats HMR price per round, or did when I had both.

Neil.

If you use a 40 grain VM as a standard bullet for the .223 and 22 Hornet, and consider the price of primers and powder roughly equal, then the Hornet will give you twice as many loads per pound. With the 17 you have component issues so there is no real comparison. ~Muir

i load 55gr sierra gamekings in .223 that works out about 30p a shot but the ammo is cwd and muntie legal in England and roe legal in Scotland while you can happily bash from rabbits through foxes without worrying about your wallet.

40gr can only ever be for the bunnies and fox but the 55gr's give a wider range of potential use

i reload .22 hornet for 30p a round.

Just rabbits?
    if you are concerned about cost you'd be nuts not to consider the WMR

I have a .222 but I won't waste it on bunnies

I rate the hmr above the wmr. Currently use the .223 on fox and munty but would consider using it more for rabbits if i can do it on a budget other wise i'll stick with the hmr as i shoot around 3k rabbits a year. Find myself using the 6.5 on everything bigger than rabbit nowadays though to be honest so find myself in a quandary over a "middle man" calibre. More deliberation required!