Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Touching Part of the Lands

Bullet Touching Part of the Lands

Help from you experienced re loaders Please

Could anyone please give me some information as to what they think I have done wrong here and any suggestions how to remedy.
    As can be seen in the pictures the bullet I presume is touching the lands but only just around 40% of it is marked. The bolt is tight when trying to close. The OAL is what it should be (less 10 thou) according to my comparator measurement.
    Only just starting out in the reloading game so appreciate any information

Thanks in advance. Gaz Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3327.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	53955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3329.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	53956

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Help from you experienced re loaders Please

Could anyone please give me some information as to what they think I have done wrong here and any suggestions how to remedy.
    As can be seen in the pictures the bullet I presume is touching the lands but only just around 40% of it is marked. The bolt is tight when trying to close. The OAL is what it should be (less 10 thou) according to my comparator measurement.
    Only just starting out in the reloading game so appreciate any information

Thanks in advance. Gaz Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3327.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	53955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3329.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	53956
    That isn't contacting the lands.. those marks are way beyond the OGIVE.. Are you magazine feeding them? that looks like feed rash from the cartridge being pushed out of the magazine and into the chamber to me

Thanks Vipa but no I am not feeding from magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Thanks Vipa but no I am not feeding from magazine.
    Hmmm.. no idea then, definitely not rifling marks though. If you have a Hornady bullet comparator, you would you would see rifling marks at the same place the collar of the comparator makes contact with the bullet when you measure them

Firstly I don't get the "OAL Is what it should be" bit

if the bolt is stiff it is not what it should be!
    the rash could be anything but sort the close first

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Firstly I don't get the "OAL Is what it should be" bit

if the bolt is stiff it is not what it should be!
    the rash could be anything but sort the close first
    Please elaborate a bit more. I have got the AOL from using a overall length gauge and modified case as per the manuals I've read. The rounds in the picture are the same length but are getting marked as shown. The bolt works fine with no rounds chambered and will also work fine with factory ammo, so if the made rounds are the same or less than the measured AOL why should this happen. Thanks

It could be that the rounds are not concentric, I.e. The bullet is not entirely in line with the case and so is touching on only part of the bullet and not all, as it should be, if you haven't got a gauge then you could try rolling them on a work surface and see if you can see any run out.

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    It could be that the rounds are not concentric, I.e. The bullet is not entirely in line with the case and so is touching on only part of the bullet and not all, as it should be, if you haven't got a gauge then you could try rolling them on a work surface and see if you can see any run out.
    Thanks Foggy. the case necks have been turned with a K&M micro adjustable neck turner and I am wondering if this process has worked correctly and is actually needed at all.

The shoulder looks to me as though your black ink has been marked. That suggests that your case hasn't been fully resized (this is reused brass, yes?). Try removing the bullet (and powder) and chambering the same cartridge. If it's stiff to close the bolt, you have located the problem. But first, is the loaded cartridge OAL as per the bullet maker's manual? If so, you will be clear of the lands. Look down you barrel from the muzzle. Look at the lands: how many are there, and what is the land to groove width ratio? Compare that to the mark on your bullet. Does it look like a land impression? Try seating you bullet 0.100" further out (on a case with no powder). It should engrave. Take a look at the marks. How do they compare to the questioned mark? Finally, don't use felt tip markers (e.g. Sharpie) as the ink is like treacle, only use Staedtler Lumocolor CD/DVD markers, their ink is microscopic.

-JMS

The necks look a little chewed - were they trimmed to length before loading?