Thread: jump to the riffling

jump to the riffling

How much of a jump can you have as these Barnes 130 ttsx are long and they won't fit my magazine unless I seat them quite deep 120thou off before they fit the magazine

Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    How much of a jump can you have as these Barnes 130 ttsx are long and they won't fit my magazine unless I seat them quite deep 120thou off before they fit the magazine
    .308? I had mine 140 thou off the lands!!!

Seat them to fit your rifle. The requirement of a bullet being a certain few thou off the lands for accuracy is a myth.~Muir

FAQ | Barnes Bullets Regards JCS

HI Berg,

At risk of hijacking the thread but for anyone out there.....Be VERY careful trying to jam a Barnes or any other mono-metal projectile into the lands.

Mono-metal heads have a different behaviour to copper coated lead and there is already , usually, a higher pressure within the chamber compared to a similar load with a conventional head. Jamming into lands magnifies this markedly and could give the unwary a very nasty surprise.

The manufacturers always advise you to start low and not to exceed mid ranges.

I always give mine a good "jump" and as Muir says "fit them to my rifle". Go for what the loading manual or manufacturer advise as a COAL.

DT
    (dressed in hi vis tabard, safety specs, hard hat, cheap M&S suit and clipboard!)