DAMASCUS STEEL BLADES by bewsher500

geoffrey

Damascus steel blades

Damascus Knife

For a long time I have had a fancy for a Damascus blade knife, I found one at a boot fair in France last summer but was put off by the 220 euro price, so when I saw that bewsher500 was selling Damascus steel blades I purchased one which arrived next working day, I was surprised at how heavy the blade was so I removed a lot of the weight by drilling holes in the handle, next I looked for a suitable piece of wood to make the handle, on ebay I found a company selling Australian Birdseye coolabahs burl a lovely piece of timber which arrived a few days later,
I cut the shape of the knife handle using a small bandsaw drilled holes to take the brass studs put the handle onto the blade and one of the pieces of timber cracked in half so that went into the bin,
Searching around the workshop I found a small piece of burr walnut which turned out to be just long enough. With the handle glued to the blade with two part epoxy I set about shaping the handle using a flat bed sander and finished off by hand, four coats of flooring oil gave the handle a nice sheen. I sharpened the blade using a chefs choice knife sharpener it took a while but now the blade is super sharp and made short work of a gralloch the other evening, Just waiting for some leather to turn up to make the sheath ,
Cheers Geoff

knife 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back