Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Career Change

Career Change

If you had to make a complete career change at the age of forty three what would you do? I realise that everyone has different idea's and aspirations but lets hear your thoughts. Pretty open minded and happy to retrain. Discuss.

I did just that.....service career for 20yrs, self employed for 6yrs then a complete change and re train. The studying required was tough, as well as keeping my mouth shut and doing as I was told at the beginning, but in the long term financial security and every night in my own bed won the day so I don't regret it one bit.

However, I'd imagine it wouldn't suit all to do what I did......I just have to plan my stalking in advance

Maybe qualify as HGV driver, might not set your world alight, but you would always have something to fall back on....? And the view out of the office window would constantly change......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

As above, but a train driver! Good money and you can't get lost!
    MS

Is it a complete career change from professional deer management you need Glyn, or just a decent boss in the same field????

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Maybe qualify as HGV driver, might not set your world alight, but you would always have something to fall back on....? And the view out of the office window would constantly change......
    AAARggh!!!, No nO No!.... It's a lunatic asylum guys!... stay away from the wheel unless it's just travel to work.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Is it a complete career change from professional deer management you need Glyn, or just a decent boss in the same field????
    I was hoping to stay in Deer related work but it's just not happening, its been nearly two years since I took redundancy and, whilst I've done some useful short contracts, I haven't been able to secure another full time position. I'm not getting jobs that I should really be walking into. I think its time to do something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Thanks, this is something that I had considered and I will be looking into it in more detail.

Glyn, job interviews these days tend to be very different than they used to be. Filling in application forms and CV's is an art in itself. Then the interview often is looking for you to answer questions in a certain way, mentioning certain things and is assessed on points scored on how many you include.

You may be the best person for a job by a country mile, but if the interviewers don't hear what's on their brief, then it's a no from them. It might be worth your while investing a little in some training solely to do with job applications and interviews.

As for HGV driving, my son was in the RAF. He got all his driving tickets when he was there so it was obvious to go into that game when he left. But it's no picnic. Schedules are tight. Initially you'll likely only get agency work and although the scenery does change, it's likely to be just a different industrial site or supermarket than yesterday reached by an over used urban motorway. But on the plus side, the vast majority of what we need to survive today is hauled by lorries, so there's always work to be had.