Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of moderators

Use of moderators

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but thought it would interest some of you. Admin feel free to move it if it is

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_p...4/hsl04-01.pdf

So what was Mod A then,

kinda sounds like
    A T8 style
    B Utra style
    C P8 style

Glad to see good use of tax payers money there. Must have taken good two or three days to right up the report let alone a few days on the range.

i suppose the next will be that chainsaws are sharp and can cut down trees.

More than 10 years since it was written, I guess mods were much less common then. When did HO guidance change in our favour?

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Glad to see good use of tax payers money there. Must have taken good two or three days to right up the report let alone a few days on the range.

i suppose the next will be that chainsaws are sharp and can cut down trees.
    Exactly that! Health and safety is prominent in everything nowadays even if it is stating the obvious.

The only thing that did surprise me was the fact that down range the noise levels remained the same with and without a mod??

Quote Originally Posted by Colesco View Post
    The only thing that did surprise me was the fact that down range the noise levels remained the same with and without a mod??
    A moderator quietens a rifle, it can do nothing about the supersonic crack of a high velocity bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    A moderator quietens a rifle, it can do nothing about the supersonic crack of a high velocity bullet.
    So does that mean the benefits of using a mod are more suited to protecting the shooters hearing/reducing recoil rather than reducing spooked quarry etc?

So if this is true, moderators don't stop the quarry hearing it all perfectly. Understandable though, the quarry gets the pulse of the pressure wave that isn't moderated at all.

David.

So does that mean the benefits of using a mod are more suited to protecting the shooters hearing/reducing recoil rather than reducing spooked quarry etc?

Ultimately yes. There will be some reduction to the noise of the round by the mod, but the only way to quieten it completely is to go subsonic, hence why .22subs, despite being full of black powder, are often quieter than a springer air rifle.

Another interesting fact, .270 is not the loudest one or the one with the biggest recoil... So the myth ''270 kicks like a mule'' is busted...