Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Force

Border Force

The nice people at Border Force seized my rifle scope back in November that I was sending back to USA for a Warranty Repair, it never actually left the UK as silly old me should have provided an export licence which I didn't realise I had to send!. Several months, letters and phone calls later I am still without scope or any idea of their intentions of restoring the goods to me. I have several times explained that it was an oversight on my part (no other reason for not providing an export licence) and I have no intention of trying to send it again as I will look to getting the repairs done in the UK now.

My question is does anyone have any contacts in Border Force Postal Seizure Unit, Plymouth that would be able to help me. I have tried phoning their number quoted on the seizure letter several times (between 10am and 1pm only!) but it is constantly engaged. The Border Force at Castle Donnington where the scope was seized were sympathetic to my cause, but it is in the hands of BIS and all my correspondence needs to go via Plymouth who don't seem overly keen on helping me put an end to this I have contacted BASC, however their advice is to keep sending letters weekly until I get an answer but at between 3-6 a pop recorded or special delivery this is really starting to make my wee wee boil.

Any help appreciated (by PM if you would prefer).

If they aren't doing anything to you, by which I mean prosecuting you, then they can have no reason to hold on to it.

I would be tempted to send them a letter saying that you are available at certain times (give two or three occasions when you are at home) for either the scope to be returned, or for you to be contacted so they can explain why they are keeping it. If it's feasible, perhaps also give a time when you could pick it up yourself. Explain to them that should you receive no satisfactory reply by a certain date (give them around three weeks to be generous), you can only assume that the item is being held for no reason, or has been lost, in which case you will instruct a solicitor to commence proceedings to recover the cost of the scope. I would also include the price of the scope (with photocopy of receipt perhaps or other documentation listing price).

See if that does any good. I would also direct it to a specific person, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Timney View Post
    The nice people at Border Force seized my rifle scope back in November that I was sending back to USA for a Warranty Repair, it never actually left the UK as silly old me should have provided an export licence which I didn't realise I had to send!. Several months, letters and phone calls later I am still without scope or any idea of their intentions of restoring the goods to me. I have several times explained that it was an oversight on my part (no other reason for not providing an export licence) and I have no intention of trying to send it again as I will look to getting the repairs done in the UK now.

My question is does anyone have any contacts in Border Force Postal Seizure Unit, Plymouth that would be able to help me. I have tried phoning their number quoted on the seizure letter several times (between 10am and 1pm only!) but it is constantly engaged. The Border Force at Castle Donnington where the scope was seized were sympathetic to my cause, but it is in the hands of BIS and all my correspondence needs to go via Plymouth who don't seem overly keen on helping me put an end to this I have contacted BASC, however their advice is to keep sending letters weekly until I get an answer but at between 3-6 a pop recorded or special delivery this is really starting to make my wee wee boil.

Any help appreciated (by PM if you would prefer).
    If it were me mate think i would be putting a bit of pressure on them ,ask them what does this insurance cover firearms issues i believe just my opinion good luck

we deal with them from a slightly different angle and I will see what a colleague at work has contact wise. We tend to have issues with shipments that require cites permits, usually no problem unless the carrier looses the permit or as currently is happening a customer shipping a display of taxidermy birds missed that one needed one. In our case getting things back is very hard and they do pull the offence committed card.
    In your case if it needed a license you might kiss goodbye to the good as to them it looks like an attempt to export without, the only thing you can do is keep on writing and calling hoping to find someone who isn't a complete jobsworth as they do seem to employ quite a few.

Do you really need an export license for a warranty repair?

Small claims court?

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Do you really need an export license for a warranty repair?
    I am confused
    you are not exporting
    why would you need an export license
    think you have been misled there

there is also no restriction on sending such goods to the US and definitely not as the origin

If you can afford one get a solicitor, if not go to citizens advice, sounds like you are being ignored or put in the
    (to hard to do box)

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Small claims court?
    Who are you going to make a claim against?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The UK Border Force, or whatever Government Department/agency/quango they are part of.

They are NOT above the law - they should be able to show reason for their actions - and in the small claims court they cannot claim but a small part of their costs (no solicitors fees e.g.).

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Who are you going to make a claim against?