How do you fix wild boar tusks to the shield?

willie_gunn

Right, I now have in my possession the tusks from the first boar I shot in Croatia last year. I also have the mounting shield.

My question, though, is how do you normally fix the tusks to the shield? Do you just glue them, or do you fix the tusks onto some sort of frame and then fix the frame to the shield?

Here you go Willie.
These were prep'd in Poland, so I guess they know.
First the tusks seem to be filled with hot glue, I guess to stop them cracking.
Then they are hot glued to the plaque. The glue is hardly noticeable when the silver leaf is attached which is also hot glued on.
Sorry should have dusted it off first
View attachment 54082

Last edited:
Here you go Willie.
These were prep'd in Poland, so I guess they know.
First the tusks seem to be filled with hot glue, I guess to stop them cracking.
Then they are hot glued to the plaque. The glue is hardly noticeable when the silver leaf is attached which is also hot glued on.
Sorry should have dusted it off first

Thanks for that - makes it a lot clearer. I've got a hot glue gun, as well as some PolyMorph, so I'll try one or other of those.

Many thanks to all for the help and advice.

In the end I went for something a bit rustic to match the beams where the shield will hang:

IMG_4557_zpsyur3jac6.jpg

Not the biggest tusks but my first nonetheless:

IMG_4556_zpstz9swaun.jpg

The shield was handmade by a chap in Bulgaria, whilst the silver oak leaf and acorns were a pendant that I re-worked. To mount the tusks I used PolyMorph - a thermoplastic that you heat in hot water or with a hairdrier so that it becomes malleable, then mould to the shape you want. Once it cools it is tough as old boots, but can be re-worked simply by heating again. All sourced from eBay.

Did you fill the tusks hollow cavities first? Because they will split over time otherwise. Auto body filler is one way to do it or buy some WEGU Gewaff-Füllung to go the professional way.
Martin

Did you fill the tusks hollow cavities first? Because they will split over time otherwise. Auto body filler is one way to do it or buy some WEGU Gewaff-Füllung to go the professional way.
Martin

Martin

Thanks for the tip. In this case fortunately they had already been filled by the Croatians before sending them to me :D

Looks great Dom. We must be lazy in NZ. Typically the lower jaw is boiled and cleaned before displaying it whole. The grinders don't even feature.
Here's a pic from google images. Dedicated pig hunters have some impressive collections. My one and only got chewed up by my dog :banghead:

5713929-wild_boar_jaws-0.jpg

Cheers
Hayden

I filled mine with wax the evening it was shot and then glued them with grip fix to this shield.
The oak leaf was a nice touch I think I got that from Jagersport?
My biggest regret was using gloss varnish, but I am still pretty happy with how they look.

IMAG1802.jpg

I filled mine with wax the evening it was shot and then glued them with grip fix to this shield.
The oak leaf was a nice touch I think I got that from Jagersport?
My biggest regret was using gloss varnish, but I am still pretty happy with how they look.

View attachment 54388

Thanks for posting this, particularly the photo with the engraved plaque. I've been thinking about getting one of these....not least because my memory is failing!

Me too hence the fact I put anything notable in a game log, the downside of the plaque is each time walk past them it reminds me how long ago it was I shot a decent one!

**** a dumped the head lol willie you can always put your Lev 1 DMQ badge at the top to fill the space lol. (That's if you have passed it yet) lol.

How I wish I'd kept a game log :tiphat:
I started keeping shooting and fishing records about three years ago and I'll finish the hunting one this season. Going back through it, it looks like a sort of weird autobiography. Obviously, being my diary, it's quite heavy on stories and photos, not so much on the score...

Back