Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x57 reloading

6.5x57 reloading

I have just bought a rifle in 6.5x 57 there is very little reloading data published that I can find, a bit in the Viht reloading book nothing on thier website, nothing in any of the relaoding books I have.
    On the web a lot suggest using 6.5x55 data as a start, any got any load data or experience loading this calibre.

6.5x57

6.5 x57
    Free and short translation in English of the pages in“WIEDERLADEN”, a handbook issued by the DEVA (German organization for researchand test on sporting firearms)
    The cartridgewas developed in 1893 by Mauser. No military application, but successful forhunting. Widely spread on the Continent, but not so successful in the States,where the .257 Roberts was a serious competitor.
    Usually availablewith bullets from 6 to 10 grams (93 to 154 grs). Weight 8 to 10 grams (123 to154 grs) most suitable to reds.
    RELOADING. Nospecial problem in reloading, as tools and components are widely available.American bullets with a .264 diaareoffered by all manufacturers.
    However, due todifferent rifling execution (freebore changing from one manufacturer to theother) it is important to find the mostsuitable OAL.
    Max.pressure3900 bar
    Rifling twist:200 mm (about 1 in 8”)
    Reloading datatranslation:
    GERMAN ENGLISH
    Geschosstyp Bullet type
    Geschossherstelle Bullet manufacturer
    Geschossmasse (g/grains) Bullet mass (grams/grains)
    Pulvertyp Powder type
    Pulverherssteller Powder manufacturer
    Pulvermasse (g/grains( Powder mass (g/grains)
    Zundhütchen Primer
    Hülsenfabrikat Case manufacturer
    Gesamtlänge der Patrone L0 (mm)[1] Cartridge OAL (mm)
    Geschossgeschiwindigkeit V3 (m/s) MV at 3 meters (m/s)
    Gemess. Gasdruck (bar) Measured pressure

NOTE OF THETRANSLATOR
    1.Noliability for the data above and/or possible mistakes in translating/copyingthe data
    2.Hereon the Continent it is suggested to avoid bullets lighter than 123 grs, due tothe low BC

[1] L0 is the conventionalgerman symbol for the OALClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 x 57 reloading.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	54140

I wish it legible, otherwise let me know and I'll send you a PM.

ofbiro

Yes I can read it and it is very helpful particulary on the overall length the rifle is a Sauer 90. I want to use Sierra bullet heads 120 and 140 grain as these are kept by our local gunshop and Vihtavouri powders that I currently use.

I'd just use 260rem or 6.5x55 data and work up.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by ofbiro View Post
    6.5 x57
    Free and short translation in English of the pages in“WIEDERLADEN”, a handbook issued by the DEVA (German organization for researchand test on sporting firearms)
    The cartridgewas developed in 1893 by Mauser. No military application, but successful forhunting. Widely spread on the Continent, but not so successful in the States,where the .257 Roberts was a serious competitor.
    Usually availablewith bullets from 6 to 10 grams (93 to 154 grs). Weight 8 to 10 grams (123 to154 grs) most suitable to reds.
    RELOADING. Nospecial problem in reloading, as tools and components are widely available.American bullets with a .264 diaareoffered by all manufacturers.
    However, due todifferent rifling execution (freebore changing from one manufacturer to theother) it is important to find the mostsuitable OAL.
    Max.pressure3900 bar
    Rifling twist:200 mm (about 1 in 8”)
    Reloading datatranslation:
    GERMAN ENGLISH
    Geschosstyp Bullet type
    Geschossherstelle Bullet manufacturer
    Geschossmasse (g/grains) Bullet mass (grams/grains)
    Pulvertyp Powder type
    Pulverherssteller Powder manufacturer
    Pulvermasse (g/grains( Powder mass (g/grains)
    Zundhütchen Primer
    Hülsenfabrikat Case manufacturer
    Gesamtlänge der Patrone L0 (mm)[1] Cartridge OAL (mm)
    Geschossgeschiwindigkeit V3 (m/s) MV at 3 meters (m/s)
    Gemess. Gasdruck (bar) Measured pressure

NOTE OF THETRANSLATOR
    1.Noliability for the data above and/or possible mistakes in translating/copyingthe data
    2.Hereon the Continent it is suggested to avoid bullets lighter than 123 grs, due tothe low BC

[1] L0 is the conventionalgerman symbol for the OALClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 x 57 reloading.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	54140
    Very helpful indeed. Thanks for that.

Got some cases from Bush Wear thought I was going to have to resize and fire form 7x57. Dies are going to be 6 weeks before I get them coming from the States unless some one a spare set.

Hi flatbadger try the lapua manual thay have loading for this cartridge hope this helps.

Drop Mauser66 a pm he emailed me lots of data for my friend to use

Pm echoman(Ken Griffin) he used one for a long time