Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jager Sporting Arms 7mm Reming Magnum Build

Jager Sporting Arms 7mm Remington Magnum Build

I wanted a 7mm Rem Mag. Finding one off the shelf that was either in stock or suiting my requirements was not an easy task. Sako and Tikka the lead time is 6 months plus! A mate was let down by GMK, he had ordered a 375 H&H Sako 85 and patiently waited 6 months for it to be delivered to his RFD. When he chased them up he was told he would need to wait a further 6 months!! Sod that he thought and bought a mint 2nd hand one. Blaser and Sauer was also an option, but way more expensive and not really what I wanted.

I contacted a few people about 2nd hand 7mm Rem Mags they had for sale, but I really wanted something that was new and that I knew 100% the history of the barrel. Some suggestions were made that I contact James at Jager Sporting Arms. I looked up some reviews and they all were very positive.

Fortunately James had a Remington 700 magnum action. I am quite a fan of the Remington actions due to the many many aftermarket parts available. A very reasonable deal was worked out for the work to be done. I supplied the stock for the build. James did everything else. I paid my deposit for the barrel, which was a Bergara barrel, I also heard good reports of Bergara. I was told the time I would expect to wait would be approximately 6 months. As James needed to get the reamer he was in the lap of the gods as to when the reamer would be delivered.

I got the call from James to tell me it had been proofed and what colour would I like it cerakoted. Like a kid waiting for Christmas, the day could not come around quick enough!! The day we agreed I was flying back to Heathrow from Chicago and was taking the rest of the day off work due to losing a nights sleep!! So I made my way round the M25 to pick the rifle up. It looked amazing and if it shot as well as it looked I would be a happy man.

The next day I was able to make some test loads. I am using N-165 and 160 grain Nosler Accubonds. I did 6 different loads. The best load was 61 grains of N-165. The bullet is seated 20 thou off the lands. The 3 shot group measured just less than Ĺ inch. A sub 0.5 MOA rifle!!

I will get some photos of the actual rifle with the scope mounted, I would do it right now but it is currently sat on my cleaning station with forrest foam doing its magic.

I would definitely recommend Jamesís work to anyone considering a custom rifle, re-barreling or any other rifle smithing work.

I will also be getting some of my rather tired rifles and shotguns cerakoted when the time allows!!

Well done James, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by 270Buck; 18-03-2015 at 15:12.

Nice write up. From experience of James's work, I would say it will get better after a few more rounds down the tube and you getting used to the rifle......happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by dropmdead View Post
    Nice write up. From experience of James's work, I would say it will get better after a few more rounds down the tube and you getting used to the rifle......happy days!
    I have already put 50 through it and counting. I am very happy with the results so far.

The first 20 I did the customary 1 shot clean, 2 shots clean, 5 shots clean, 5 shots clean, 5 shots clean etc.

I will now clean after each use as per my normal regime for my other rifles.

Nice one mate, let's see some pics!

The general consensus is that the barrels take a good few rounds to settle down, they certainly do shoot.
    Good grouping with load development.

Hi With reference to GMK forgetting to order, I also ordered a 7mm Rem Mag in Sako 85 stainless synthetic and was told 4 to 6 months wait so i paid my deposit and waited, after 4 months just out of curiosity i inquired as to whether we where any nearer to it showing up and after the shop Swillington shooting supplies who i know placed the order because i was there phoned to inquire they where told sorry not ordered you will have to wait another 4 to 6 months which was actually the full term so i ended up waiting 10 months and not once did GMK apologies to me or even consider any compensation for the extra wait but i was told not to hold my breath so like all good UK citizen's do i waited very patiently, and now finally i have it.

Jez

Quote Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
    Hi With reference to GMK forgetting to order, I also ordered a 7mm Rem Mag in Sako 85 stainless synthetic and was told 4 to 6 months wait so i paid my deposit and waited, after 4 months just out of curiosity i inquired as to whether we where any nearer to it showing up and after the shop Swillington shooting supplies who i know placed the order because i was there phoned to inquire they where told sorry not ordered you will have to wait another 4 to 6 months which was actually the full term so i ended up waiting 10 months and not once did GMK apologies to me or even consider any compensation for the extra wait but i was told not to hold my breath so like all good UK citizen's do i waited very patiently, and now finally i have it.

Jez
    Could of had one built for less and it would shoot a dream.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmdead View Post

Keep shooting that load....it shows potential. Get the round count up, they seem to like over 100 rounds through them. It will eventually be one slightly untidy hole!

A photo of the rifle is needed!