Thread: Using larder as a drying room

Using larder as a drying room

I'm getting ready to try dry curing some veni haunches and bacon, etc, and have been pondering an idea about using my mini larder as a drying room also. Do you think it would work if I cut a grill in one side with an insect mesh cover for intake air and fitted a 4" bathroom type fan in the other side, again with insect mesh, for extraction.

I'm thinking it would keep the air circulating nicely and also may lower the humidity level a tad as it seems to average around 75 to 80% in there with a current temp of around 10 degrees c. By using a small fan with the room size at about 8 cubic meters I figured it wouldn't dry the meat out too quick,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Before you start cutting holes in stuff it's best to do a bit of research. If you get a cheap temp/humidity sensor for less than a tenner you can check out the naturally occurring conditions in your place. I have a boiler cupboard which is pretty constantly perfect conditions all year round and didn't require any modifications at all. Air flow is good, but be aware that too much airflow can work against you as if it's too breezy you can harden the outer of a ham or salami etc and the inner will never dry out at all.

At at this time of year with a small ham such as a muntie, it wouldn't matter too much if the temp and humidity ranges weren't perfect, I'd be tempted to give it a go as best you can, there's a stronger chance of it working out than not as long as you got the initial curing right.

If if I were you I,d do a bit of checking before you start drilling. And whilst waiting for the results to land, look at what it takes to convert an eBay/gumtree fridge into a curing fridge ......

No problem mate thanks again for your help,

Stratts

I just borrowed a mates biltong maker but am making my own along these lines

constant air movement is the key
    use a computer cooling fan

Looks good Ed.
    The meat strips are quite long, what cut / beast are they from ?

PS.. sorry, just saw it in on the other thread.
    I agree, go easy on the marinade or it can end up too vinegary.
    Last edited by private fraser; 19-03-2015 at 10:25.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

that box is not mine but i used loin strips cut to length

What a div I am I already have a biltong box I made with a fan and lightbulb in I never thought of using that!!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I'm getting ready to try dry curing some veni haunches and bacon, etc, and have been pondering an idea about using my mini larder as a drying room also. Do you think it would work if I cut a grill in one side with an insect mesh cover for intake air and fitted a 4" bathroom type fan in the other side, again with insect mesh, for extraction.

I'm thinking it would keep the air circulating nicely and also may lower the humidity level a tad as it seems to average around 75 to 80% in there with a current temp of around 10 degrees c. By using a small fan with the room size at about 8 cubic meters I figured it wouldn't dry the meat out too quick,

Cheers

Stratts
    I understood the NRA’s Bisley Crawford Cabins were used for just this purpose during the Winter months judging by their odour.

K

Nah mate, if the RO Lines are anything to go by the humidity levels are too high (as in damp!), although they are definitely draughty enough!!

I've just hung up a dry salted wildboar haunch in a leantoo on my barn. plenty of air circulation so will see what its tastes like in a years time.