Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigation/ GPS/ iPhone apps

Navigation/ GPS/ iPhone apps

I'll shortly be stalking new plantation ground, which I've been round once - and likely will get lost the first several times on my own. Will use a map and compass as I'm used to that and the batteries never run out.

GPS and lots of shiny, expensive toys could be added to my bag to 'make life simpler'.

Having lived in scotland long enough to suffer arm-length-pocket-depth dysfunction I'm considering a free app for my work iPhone 6. This has a GPS chip in it that, allegedly, works without t'internet or mobile signal. In the area I'll be stalking there is of course neither.

I've downloaded an app called Atlas that stores local copies of OS maps and relates this to GPS position, with ability to track when out of range of phone mast or t'internet. Allegedly.

Anyone tried these apps/ any feedback?

JS
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

This app is free and comes with UK Ordinance Survey credits to download large scale but small area maps (well it did when I brought it - so check - may now be an in app purchase from the get go). So you don't need to get the maps for the whole of the UK and only the areas that of interest to you. There are some low res maps available for free but not as useful as OS maps. Works in other countries if relevant. Allows you to operate in remote areas using GPS signals and record your track. If in radio signal you can share your position with friends that you have already connected with and shared permissions to share your location with - might be good in case of an accident but ultimately not reliable as you must be within radio signal. Available for iOS, Android etc. Works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    I'll shortly be stalking new plantation ground, which I've been round once - and likely will get lost the first several times on my own. Will use a map and compass as I'm used to that and the batteries never run out.

GPS and lots of shiny, expensive toys could be added to my bag to 'make life simpler'.

Having lived in scotland long enough to suffer arm-length-pocket-depth dysfunction I'm considering a free app for my work iPhone 6. This has a GPS chip in it that, allegedly, works without t'internet or mobile signal. In the area I'll be stalking there is of course neither.

I've downloaded an app called Atlas that stores local copies of OS maps and relates this to GPS position, with ability to track when out of range of phone mast or t'internet. Allegedly.

Anyone tried these apps/ any feedback?

JS
    Haha... yes... your iPhone has a built in GPS which is as good (and often better) than stand alone dedicated GPS units.. Memory Map is another one you can use although you will need to purchase the OS maps for the area you are interested in, either 1:25,000 explorer or 1:50,000 landrangers depending how much info you need.. the app itself will give basic high level mapping of the area too if you just want an overview. Also has all the navigation functionality in there that you need too.. Worth also noting that iPhone 6 also has a built in compass which is pretty impressive and can be used if you are stuck..

None of this needs any connection other than to download the app and the maps but you can do that when you are hooked up to wifi at home etc..

Yes, viewranger is by far the best, there are four guns in our syndicate and all use viewranger, there is a function called buddy beacon, this allows to to find and track others in your group should they need help.
    Last edited by david1; 19-03-2015 at 20:50.

view ranger very good.

I use alpine quest, I'll have a look at the view ranger to compare.

I use a garmin etrex which is very good but still carry the map and compass the mobile phone options are a bit to fiddly also don't like to depend on batteries

A vote for Viewranger from me too. And it's possible to "track" yourself and then synchronise it with a web version so you can see where you've been.

If you've a pc with a printer at home then I'd just go to google maps satelite view and zoom in to the area your interested in and print it off. Thats the best map I have and I shoot in a 3000acre forest. You can see all the rides and also parts that may be devoid of trees that you never knew about. Depending on how far you zoom in you may have to print out a few pages and match them together with selotape but if like me you can use your work pc and paper to do it costs nothing.

ViewRanger for me too. The free maps that you get when you download the app are not great but when you actually log-on the supplied maps are good. The free satellite maps are just the google earth satellite maps. I find the tracking mode really useful for when you get back to the pc.
    I took a look recently at the other alternatives but VR gets the best write-ups that I've seen. My only problem is that it's pretty hard on the battery.