Is a BSA ESSENCIAL EMD 3-9x40 WR scope suitable for a Parker Hale .308?

EccentricJackal

As title really... I have a BSA ESSENCIAL EMD 3-9x40 WR scope (at least that is what is written on the box!) fitted to my .308, is this scope designed for rifles or airguns, and will it be likely to lose its zero mounted to a .308? - the Essential (spelt with a 'T') seems to be BSA's air rifle range, but I cant seem to find any reference to an 'ESSENCIAL' range.

The scope was chosen based on it fitting the 1 inch rings that were available for my Parker Hale rifle and being cheap enought to buy at the same time as the rifle.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

Don't waste your time Ryan if its anything like the BSA catseye scope that I fitted to an underlever some years ago it will be a total waste of time and money. BSA weren't at all interested when the thing fell apart, so much for warranties.

Thanks for the info, hopefully this wont drop to bits too quickly as I'm stuck with it for a while! I can move it to my 22lr if it isnt capable of handling a .308 but what cheap (ie very cheap) scope would you recommend?

Ryan

Ryan, IMO just change the mounts and rings to the Leupold std mounting system, they are windage adjustable too so will eliminate problems of misalignment you may find with Weaver bases, as I did.
Their web site will give you all of the info needed, It's possible The Countryman of Derby may have them in stock?
Then you are free to choose any upgrade of scope you want?
The 1" rings you probably have are not suitable for modern scopes which are 25mm?
Hope this helps avoid the mistakes I blundered into.

Thanks for the info, hopefully this wont drop to bits too quickly as I'm stuck with it for a while! I can move it to my 22lr if it isnt capable of handling a .308 but what cheap (ie very cheap) scope would you recommend?

Ryan

If you can come across a fixed power 6x42 Hawke Endurance then for the very small amount of money they go for they are an absolute steal. I purchased one new a few years back from the optics warehouse for £25 on special offer and it had a 10 year warranty. Some of the older fixed power Tasco and Nikko Stirling scopes are also very good but you can't say the same for the modern ones.

My personal favourite "cheap" scope though is a Meopta 7x50 or even a 6x42. A little bit more money but you should be able to pick one up secondhand for the right money. You would probably be reluctant to sell it at a later date when or if you decide to buy something flashier. Good solid scopes with excellant optics just as good as a Schmidt & Bender but for less money.

if it isnt capable of handling a .308 but what cheap (ie very cheap) scope would you recommend?

Vintage Nikko Stirling Gold silver or Platinum crown
6x or 8x fixed mag
£20-50
make sure it is Made in Japan and ideally pre 1985!

I used one as a back up on my 300win Mag when I smashed the reticule on a Schmidt and Bender!

I run then on a lot of rifles
have one on my .222, .22lr, .22WMR, .308 (plus a back up spare lying in a box)

The 1" rings you probably have are not suitable for modern scopes which are 25mm?
Hope this helps avoid the mistakes I blundered into.

Really, first I have heard of it and I have a few scopes, one is a 26mm tube and needs suitable 26mm rings, all the rest are 1 inch or 25.4mm and fit any 1 inch rings.
I have never seen a 25mm scope, a few cheap ones are advertised as 25mm but will measure 25.4mm.
Not to be confused with the scope and ring makers who still advertise their products as 26mm when they are actually 1 inch (25.4) mainly a few of the smaller european makers.

Neil. :)

Really, first I have heard of it and I have a few scopes, one is a 26mm tube and needs suitable 26mm rings, all the rest are 1 inch or 25.4mm and fit any 1 inch rings.
I have never seen a 25mm scope, a few cheap ones are advertised as 25mm but will measure 25.4mm.
Not to be confused with the scope and ring makers who still advertise their products as 26mm when they are actually 1 inch (25.4) mainly a few of the smaller european makers.

Neil. :)

Thanks Neil, I will have to dig out the mothballed original rings and Gold Crown Japanese scope that came with the rifle and measure them up?
The scope is just too good clarity wise to sell on. Circa 1985 I believe?

I do know that the base alignment with retro fit Weavers always caused windage adjustment problems till the Leupold solution.

I was in a similar position, looking for a cheap scope to go on my Parker-Hale .243
I bought a new Nikko Stirling, and now I wouldn't recommend them at all! Build quality is very poor, and it doesn't hold zero that well either. Until I can afford something better it will have to do, but I don't have a lot of faith in it.
Also, as someone else has said, don't bother with the IR and AO. I wish I hadn't! The IR in a cheap scope will just flood your vision.

I have a Hawke scope on my .22, and I'd be happy to put one of those on my .243 in place of the Nikko.

Quite a range of hawke scopes, which range do you use? I have an older 25mm endurance which I have yet to give a hammering on my 308.

Well Neil, sorry to say I got the scope detail wrong it's a Nikko Special 6x32 with German pointed post ret finished in gloss complete with original low gloss rings.
It measures 1" not 25mm.
Good enough to pop a few v bulls at 300 yds.......honest!

Back