Typical ranges for deerstalking?

MrPopp

Hi,
I wanted to ask about what ranges you typically shoot at when stalking? Also what kind of scopes you are usingn and recommend..
Thanks Peter

There are quite a few threads on this topic. Two spring to mind:

maximum distance
Range when shooting off sticks ?

In summary, it depends a lot on the size of the deer, time available, time of day, time of year, weather, deer management plan, type of (wood)land, experience level of stalker. This is not an exhaustive list, but clearly one man's 'typical' may be completely different from another man or woman.

You also need to take into account there are days when a shot is not fired. I've turned away from hinds standing 30 yards from me in a snow storm and gone home.

Regards

JCS

Last edited:
I shoot mainly about 100 yards. Zeroed at 1" high it is basically point and squeeze out to 150 yards which is where I like to keep within. Personal ability rather than anything else.

scope choice, well looking to start a BUNFIGHT? I prefer a variable scope, low mag for woodland and high mag for open land, just gives you a choice. 2-12x56. Is it the best? who knows, but I like it.

Depends on on what your priorities are, what your shooting is, type of land your shooting over.

Thanks both "smith" and "singer",
Myself I usuallt dont take shoots over 100m (m=meters and is a measurment used on mainland Europe ) on roe but they better be standing and not disturbed.. we will be hubting in higher grounds so I guess we will have time and not shoot at running animals as we do with moose and other animals at driven hunts.. perhaps my question on scoopes was a bit silly as it of course is more about what you like end not like... anyway I thank you for the input and comments plus the links to other threads!

Well under the useful range of a 22 Hornet. And so much so in recent times that I have to remind myself why I have 24 power scope on several deer rifles.

K

100 or less , scopes ? i have got z6i x50 bt and v8x56 ret 60, but an 8x56 would do the job with no problems , i am in agreement with TSS i like to use the scope to view my target and its surroundings before i commit to the shot ! after all the end of any stalk is it the deer that needs to be to taken or a keeper i may be wrong but that's just my view on it.

Of course the scope is not to see the animal but to acess the whole situation and I am probably more careful before takin a shoot and over the years i have used less and less magnification when shooting. Not sure why but over the years using less and less magnification. I have been stalking before and took a shot on about 25 m as the stag was walking towards me. This time we will be in higher grounds and when watching youtube etc it seems like all shoots are taken on extream distances and as it seems here that is not the case. And I do thinknthat the stalking is the main part of it and also trying to getvas close as possible.

Well to expand on you comments. Taking into account I'm no expert. The furthest I have shot was about 175 yards, the closest about 20. But normally 100 yards and under and most of the people I talk to tend to be about 100 yards. By the way if you do a search in the stories look at a couple of stories I have put in. I can recommend them because I wrote them. :D And one or two of them even mention the stalk at some point. :rofl:

There are are people who take long shots, but I think that would be mainly on the hill of Scotland where there are large open spaces. Somebody flame me. Lol.
Personally I like 100 as I am comfortable with that. I have had deer at 200 and could have taken the shot but I personally do not have enough experience for that distance and so won't take the shot.

Hi,
I wanted to ask about what ranges you typically shoot at when stalking? Also what kind of scopes you are usingn and recommend..
Thanks Peter

What I mainly shoot these last few months is Muntjac, on foot and from my seats, so the game changes as and where they come out..
The last time I mentioned about shooting deer out at a far slap the deer police came out of there bat cave....
:old:
Kahles 3-12x56

Tim.243

Over the last year between 20 yards and 250 yards. Scopes are a 2.5-10 set on 6 or 8 for woodland or a 4-16 set on a minimum of 10 for longer shots. Depends how much time I have to set up the shot

Most of the deer that I have shot were on "Park Culls" so that is a slightly different kettle of fish to normal stalking and dictated the distance to around 60 to 120 yards but the roe that I have stalked and shot have mainly been in woodland between 60 and 100 yards (Aprox). The scope I have on my "deer rifle" (A Parker Hale Safari in .270) is a (Fixed magnification) 8 x 56 which I find more than satisfactory!

Wow some sensible replies.
I thought most of the new members were shooting
out to 500 yards??:-| but thats not stalking

its good to stalk an animal to 60 to 80 yards for the shot
with a well aimed shot from a good steady rest on an undisturbed deer.
trying to stalk closer is often counter productive as they will
probably hear you and get spooked.

over the years from 5yds to 220 yards most below 100yards

It shouldn't matter what others do, you should do what you are comfortable doing. Shoot within your capabilities

Thanks all for your input and for sure I do shoot within my ability so thats not a problem. Just interesting to hear your opinions abut it. In Sweden its not , at least for me, too common with longer shoots as its mainly woodlands. Driven hunts are another thing and for that ipersonally use 1.1-4x24 that works great even with both eyes open.

On the open hill ,depending on weather conditions , a long shot for a guest will be 200yrds . If using a variable scope , which are becoming more common then we would set that at 8x as this gives a good combination of magnification and decent field of view.

MrPopp

"How long is a piece of string" is a common expression here in the UK ;)

It's very difficult to give an answer without knowing the type of stalking you're expecting to do.

That said, and in general, if you are shooting in Southern England, in woodland, or where roe and/or muntjac are the quarry then I would think it unusual to be faced with taking a shot over 150m - not impossible mind, but unusual.

If you are stalking moorland, in Scotland, or after fallow on open ground, then you might add another 100m on top of that.

I am presuming here that you are coming to the UK on guided hunting, rather than hunting on your own ground? If so, typically a guide will be conservative about your ability to shoot at longer distances until they know your capabilities, and many guides would draw the line at the above distances regardless (again, IMHO). Most will also prevent you from shooting at moving deer - a British custom that sometimes baffles sporting tourists who are used to practicing this discipline.

So far as scopes, a 6x42 or 8x56 would be fine, as would a 2.5-10x50 or similar if you prefer a zoom. Your 1.1-4x24 wouldn't be infeasible for woodland stalking, so long as you are comfortable using it to put three shots into a 4 inch (10cm) group on a target at 100-150m. You might be found wanting using it on the Hill though.

Back