Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar eclipse and deer

Solar eclipse and deer

Just seen this elsewhere:
    During the last major solar eclipse of 1999, many deer enthusiasts reported unusual behaviour in deer. Some deer were apparently tricked into believing that it was dusk, and came out of the woods to feed.
    Looks like we might get another bite at the cherry tomorrow!
    MS

Good. Hand out those shady paper specs in case they look up and damage their eyes.

I remember the silence was instant, its as if wildlife knew what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post

Just seen this elsewhere:
    During the last major solar eclipse of 1999, many deer enthusiasts reported unusual behaviour in deer. Some deer were apparently tricked into believing that it was dusk, and came out of the woods to feed.
    Looks like we might get another bite at the cherry tomorrow!
    MS
    I remember reds making their way off the hill down in to the glen as they would do at dusk, just to turn around and head back up again as the light returned.

As the light returned we were also treated to the second dawn chorus of the day.

It's certainly going to be a sensible an hour for sunrise as we are likely to see in UK and as MS says a second bite at the cherry if you can get out.

I remember the eclipse in 1999 well. We were down in our allotment when it happened and it was quite eerie with all the birds stopping singing and then as it passed the "dawn chorus" starting again - Even the two dogs we had at the time were a "little puzzled" by what happened!! It's a little cloudy at the moment but the sky looks like it might well clear for 09:25 (The time we are expecting to experience todays eclipse) so I might well go out for a walk in the woods with a vodeo camera to see how the wildlife reacts this morning!

Edit: Here's a bit of rather shaky footage of how the eclipse looked from here.
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 20-03-2015 at 11:30.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Well, this is as good as it got:

Spookily, as the eclipse took place the postman rang the doorbell
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Too cloudy here
    What time is the next one
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Bit of a 'non-event' here! It just looked a bit dark and overcast like it was going to rain. The birds did seem to stop singing at one point, but probably only because they thought it was going to rain too!
    MS

seems a misconception with all the tv experts that we will be plunged into darkness
    We all know that it is light well before dawn and after sunset.
    So 10% sun light high in the sky is still pretty bright.
    what you do feel is that 90% of the suns heat which gradually goes and returns.