Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contact list of stalking permissions for your 'other halves' in case of emergency

Contact list of stalking permissions for your 'other halves' in case of emergency

My wife suggested this as she just never knows where i am!
    But she has a valid point, i go stalking in some remote locations in Devon that don't even have a farm on.

Just like yesterday, i shot a fallow, the farmer lives 20 miles from the land, typical fallow (hit with a 180 grain 30-06) it ran, down hill into a nasty goyle, almost vertical sides of rock and slippery mud with a stream in the bottom, even getting onto the field made me struggle, then 3 fields uphill to my truck, my heart was pumping to say the least.

Of course we all know if you have a heart attack on your own you are toast, even if you have a stalking partner with you it will probably not have a good outcome, although there are exceptions.
    But i could easily have broken a leg last night and my wife wouldn't have a clue where i was.

So tonight i got on Google Earth, provided her with names/locations/and GPS co-ordinates of all 12 of my permissions, for her eyes only of course!

In future i will try to remember to inform her where i am going, but if i don't at least if i didn't come home she could make a few phone calls as i always contact the farmer before i go on the farm.

55 years old soon so i think this is just common sense.

Cheers

Richard

Is there an app for that? seriously, I think there is an app to find your phone using GPS, in case you lose it, so your Mrs could maybe activate that in emergency?

Good idea Richard. Iphone has this facility but I think app or the gps has to be active for it to work.

Ive worked and stalked on my own for years
    Everyone out alone should have a loneworker plan.
    Even young folk can get into trouble ...you dont have to be old.
    You need a lone worker mentor
    this can be with your wife, or a friend
    they should know your vehicle details where it is parked
    where and when you are going out and
    also when you are back in.They need an action plan what to do if you
    dont.

I carry a spare emergency phone cheap clam shell type I can use in the dark.
    I also use a tracker app on my android phone, my wife can see exactly where I am
    on her Ipad.... " realtime gps tracker" www.greenalp.com is a good one.

Not much fun lying in the mud and nobody knows.

Personal location beacon (PLB).

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

aye i'd secod a PLB.

My dad had a wee heart scare a few years ago (thankfully, nothing major) so we bought him a Inreach thing it sends a 'bleep' every 10 or 20 mins so u pay a monthly tarriff, so my mother always knows where he is and has an SOS button aswell. But we wrok alone in places u never get a signal all the time so worth it
    Think it can do a lot more but u need a smart phone and we all still have normal old fashioned mobiles

When im stalking first thing i do is swith phone off in case it rings at wrong moment, maybe have to put it on vibrate mode, but i always go accompanied, if we are going for Red deer that could pose a problem recovering I take my quad and leave it on trailer, if we get a Red walk back to trailer and get the quad for recovery and if one of us gets injured the quad would be used to get them out
    after deer recovery of course LOL

I always tell her where I am and send her a gps fingerprint via google. It is easy and free to do...

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    My wife suggested this as she just never knows where i am!
    But she has a valid point, i go stalking in some remote locations in Devon that don't even have a farm on.

Just like yesterday, i shot a fallow, the farmer lives 20 miles from the land, typical fallow (hit with a 180 grain 30-06) it ran, down hill into a nasty goyle, almost vertical sides of rock and slippery mud with a stream in the bottom, even getting onto the field made me struggle, then 3 fields uphill to my truck, my heart was pumping to say the least.

Of course we all know if you have a heart attack on your own you are toast, even if you have a stalking partner with you it will probably not have a good outcome, although there are exceptions.
    But i could easily have broken a leg last night and my wife wouldn't have a clue where i was.

So tonight i got on Google Earth, provided her with names/locations/and GPS co-ordinates of all 12 of my permissions, for her eyes only of course!

In future i will try to remember to inform her where i am going, but if i don't at least if i didn't come home she could make a few phone calls as i always contact the farmer before i go on the farm.

55 years old soon so i think this is just common sense.

Cheers

Richard
    Very good point raised by your wife, seriously things can go from good to tragic in a split second, the phone locator on Iphone will need to be activated and will require good gps signals, its a good second string but as sharkey mentioned a PLB is best, there are loads available.

PLBprice has come down a lot , seven yr battery life.