Varmint or Sporter

dr.tigger

Hello I'm looking for some advice,

I've recently returned to shooting and will shortly be applying for an FAC. My requirements are for

Scenario a. varmint rifle for fox and target
deer stalking rifle

b. rifle for target and deer ( if it will also cover fox then so much the better )

I'm likely just to get one as my preference is a sako 85 and they seem a bit pricy. I've been warned off a varmint barrel due to weight but I see that sake 85 is about 8.5 lb with a laminated stock in .308. I currently lug a HW 80 around the field and that is 8.5 lb un scoped so i'm not all that concerned with a sub 9 lb combo.

Second request is for scope suggestions Ideally 4-12 x 40 and dependable. sub £350 is the budget.

Thanks

I'm likely just to get one as my preference is a sako 85 and they seem a bit pricy. I've been warned off a varmint barrel due to weight but I see that sake 85 is about 8.5 lb with a laminated stock in .308. I currently lug a HW 80 around the field and that is 8.5 lb un scoped so i'm not all that concerned with a sub 9 lb combo.

I'm afraid I don't know enough on the target side to know what your best option is, but lugging round an unnecessarily heavy rifle isn't fun.

So a lighter combined fox and deer rifle in something like .243, .25-06 or .260, then a dedicated target rifle would be my suggestion.

Second request is for scope suggestions Ideally 4-12 x 40 and dependable. sub £350 is the budget.

This would be an option on the scope front: For Sale: Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40mm

If you intend to do a lot of target shooting seriously then yes go with something heavier but out in the field i would stick with the lighter sporter barrel especially if deer are on the menu and perfectly good enough for foxes,3-12x50 would be a good choice of scope but i would look for a good quality secondhand one,it might be hard to find one for that money though or go with a secondhand fixed 8x50 S&B you won't go far wrong with that.

I don't find rifle weight a problem ( I use a mauser m03 so not the lightests ) it's all about the balance

.308 will do everything you want

heavy / varmint barrel good for targets (10 shots) before it gets hot

thin / sporter barrel not good for target shooting (3-4 shots) before it gets hot

I don't find rifle weight a problem ( I use a mauser m03 so not the lightests ) it's all about the balance

thin / sporter barrel not good for target shooting (3-4 shots) before it gets hot

I think it's going to have to be a sako 85 varmint with 20' barrel. doesn't appear to be any heavier than my hw 80 which i'm happy enough shooting free hand. Howa 1500 with hogue stock will be the budget option. Thanks for help. Just need to get the ticket now.

Last edited:

My Tikkas don't seem to notice your rule about thin and thick barrels. ~Muir

Howa make good rifles. Mine is as accurate as a t3. Me and a mate sighted ours in at the same time and groups were the same and he was use to his rifle. I had just got mine. And felt the same weight.
The best thing you can do is just get what feels right.

You coluld do it all and more with the 25/06 Jase Kaye has for sale on here...its a Sako 85 at a sweet price......awesome calibre too.....

For reasons which I can't quantify, I just prefer the weight of a varmint barrel. . Both my .222 and .308 are heavy contour and they just seem to balance better on the sticks.

In terms of accuracy I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference.

Back