Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE ENFIELDS VS I.S on sky news

LEE ENFIELDS VS I.S on sky news

anyone see sky news ,the Shia militia in Iraq fighting against islamic state with .303 lee enfields and old soviet m.gs.fair play up against A.K,s and suicide bombers in stolen humvee,s .looks like theyve had enough of the toerags and raided the museum ,Dads army Iraqui style .they wern,t lying when they asked the west to supply modern weapons

SD Regular
    Yes. I saw it too. I'd wonder where they are getting the ammunition from.

If we were in the unfortunate position of having to choose between a .303 Lee-Enfield and an AK47 as something to fight a war with, which would we pick, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Yes. I saw it too. I'd wonder where they are getting the ammunition from.
    There are tons of ammunition stashed in the Mideast from WWII.
    Twenty-five years ago, men all over Pakistan and Yemen walked the streets with Enfield slung over their shoulders, and leather bandoliers.

In the first Gulf War, some friends of mine found a hole blown open by an errant bomb, exposing a cave full of .303 ammunition. They brought back about 400,000 rounds on a cargo plane. Our state militia unit still was armed with No.1 MkIIIs and P-14s from WWI, so it was very welcomed.

to be fair id imagine the mahoosive indian army has a few for their militia and a few million rounds in case the chineese get a bit stroppy and go south again

I was at my local gun shop yesterday and spotted an old SMLE barrelled action and butt that they'd had handed in by someone. I was seriously considering offering them 20 or so, and getting myself a project gun, as by a happy coincidence I already have quite a few of the parts that it's missing. I'm still considering it....

A cool head and few rounds straight might win out over the hold it over a wall and spray used by some AK users on news bulletin's, as long as they pop their heads up at some point

I've got a couple of dozen Lee's and the parts for all but the rareest (like the No1, MkV and No1, MKVI) are readily available here. I rebuilt a Sparkbrook 1906 No1, MkI with original parts bought off of the internet. Cost me $100.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Tom270 View Post
    A cool head and few rounds straight might win out over the hold it over a wall and spray used by some AK users on news bulletin's, as long as they pop their heads up at some point
    Absolutely !! A .303 will wear them out in the hands of a marksman.

That is a big advantage of a battle rifle over a close-range, sloppy, assault rifle like the AK-47 - being able to stand off from the enemy and engage them far out of their range. If the Germans had had a semiautomatic 8x57 on the Russian front, things would have been much different. The same tactics of mass charges with PpSh submachineguns by the Chinese in Korea did not work out so well against crossing lanes of aimed fire from M1 Garands with black tip AP rounds hitting multiple enemy, sometimes 4 with a bullet, as they came up out of the trenches.

That is why the USMC pulled out the old M-14s and issued one per squad in Afghanistan and Iraq, where the M-4 carbine did not have the reach or the terminal energy beyond 400 yards, to penetrate vehicles and light body armor.

It will be a long,long time before the last Lee Enfield fires it's last shot in anger around the globe
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"