Thread: buttolo

Question buttolo

hi just asking I know the buttolo is used in the rut but I have been told you can use it any time,
    what,s the correct way to use one as I don't want to f**k up by using it at the wrong time
    any help would be welcome cheers ken

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by captain ken View Post
    hi just asking I know the buttolo is used in the rut but I have been told you can use it any time,
    what,s the correct way to use one as I don't want to f**k up by using it at the wrong time
    Ken

As with so much in the deer world - opinions are divided Richard Prior always said to use it only when you knew the rut was definitely on, others say that roe will respond all year round. I probably use it for muntjac more than roe, though selectively.

This thread is worth a look, and it links to a couple of others: Buttalo Roe Call; what/where/when to use?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    What's the most effective way of using the Buttalo for calling in Muntjac? Any handy links on this forum or others please?

I used it last year with great effect on Munties. I found it works best for me, as the distress call (long call)
    So much so that I had a 6 min "conversation" with one while I got into a suitable position. however the last three outings I've not seen/heard any response and left empty handed. I've not used it too much, don't want to get the point of over calling. maybe once in 20 minutes.
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

i use it all year round
    It is great for stopping a bumped roe deer in its tracks and if done right, at the right time with an inquisitive enough young deer they WILL come back towards you

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Thanks for the replies

I use it in the rut for bucks, all year, a short "phiep" to stop a moving animal and find it good for munti, especially if you have a barker, they often come in to find out whats going on, though I have had limited success blind calling munti.

Quote Originally Posted by captain ken View Post
    ive taken mine to the local deer park many times. Has hours of fun winding the stags and bucks up��