Using a domestic fridge to hang deer

Colster

I've been offered a domestic fridge which I plan to use to hang deer, either Muntjac or Roe or possible butchered cuts of larger deer.

My daughter's other half has offered to weld me up a rack that would sit on the rails that previously held the top shelf and a drip tray for the bottom both in stainless steel.

Anyone tried this before, any pitfalls I should consider?

I've been offered a domestic fridge which I plan to use to hang deer, either Muntjac or Roe or possible butchered cuts of larger deer.

My daughter's other half has offered to weld me up a rack that would sit on the rails that previously held the top shelf and a drip tray for the bottom both in stainless steel.

Anyone tried this before, any pitfalls I should consider?

I've used a couple of domestic and laboratory fridges.

So long as they'll chill a deer carcass to 7 degrees or less you should be fine: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/137.pdf

The only challenge sometimes is height, as ideally you want the carcass to be hanging clear of the sides and floor. A double height fridge is therefore better than an under-counter unless you're just storing butchered cuts.

Ideal
a fridge or chiller is essential now the weather is warming up
during the day time.
Overnight outdoor temperatures can still go down to 0 degrees.

In the Fridge....must be below 7 degrees
.....4 to 5 degrees centigrade is what you should be aiming for.
A wet carcass in a small fridge..you might get a white mould develop on the carcass after about 5 days
so best not leave it that long befor butchering.

I used to run a large glass fronted fridge in the larder for use during the summer when I didn't need the main chiller on. It worked fine and you might be surprised how much the top shelf will support. I simply used to hang roe and muntjac from S hooks under the shelf with no problems.

I've got an old fridge in the shed, works fine. I just open the door once a day to ventilate. Anything up to a fallow will fit in. I've bodged up a piece of old curtain rod set into two pieces of wood to hang the carcass from.

Fridge.jpg

A drinks fridge is better as they tend to blast the air around which helps with humidity. A standard fridge is ok for short periods but expect damp and mould if you use it for too long.
MS

I've got both a domestic fridge and drinks chiller .I put a 6" cheapo fan in the domestic fridge for air circulation and it works very well .

Well, we now have the finished article and last night while stalking, it got its first customer
IMAG0512[1].jpg

IMAG0515[1].jpg
It also happily held 6 rabbits overnight
IMAG0514[1].jpg
but I also have a second rack and drip tray for storing larger numbers of smaller animals
IMAG0517[1].jpg

I fixed up a PC fan running off an old laptop power supply and a timer switch so it comes on for about 10 minutes every couple of hours.

Thats some engineering there! I just got a length of stainless pipe, pipe clips and some stainless screws from someone on here and screwed it in, will hold a roe and munty together, and without a fan I tend to be ok for 7 days. I just use a chest spreader to help the cavity 'breath' and have a fridge thermometer in there to keep an eye on the temp - stays a pretty constant 3-4 degrees.

A drinks fridge is better as they tend to blast the air around which helps with humidity. A standard fridge is ok for short periods but expect damp and mould if you use it for too long.
MS

I use a big double door Coke chiller and had a little white mould form after just a weeks hanging on my last Fallow, first time it has happened so humidity must have been different, I spoke to a few people and all said it wasn't serious and to just wipe it over with 50/50 white vinegar and hot water. Well I did this after I took its jacket off, using plenty of paper towelling and it shone, just a small bit of dryness to trim off and I was very pleased with the outcome.

rgds WB.

Back