Stop it NOW!!

RED-DOT

Someone is shooting upstream from our estate on the Old Forth and bagging the waste in white poly bags that are washing up on the feilds at the first bend. This has been going on for a few years and the bags stink and dogs are eating and rolling in them. I don't know if it's legal stalking or poachers but the police have been informed.
I am not talking about a bag of legs but complete carcasses and skins.

sounds like illegal dumping, need not be from upstream shooting possibly
dumped from a road or bridge by poachers.

Every spate leaves a dozen or so bags high & dry. There is a road bridge a mile upstream...

There is a guy on a farm four miles upstream that is shooting at night and out of season and has been regularly taking Roe and Red at night. I do suspect him but can't prove it (yet).

Last edited:
+1 on the trail camera - I'm currently having a field shelter built (live remote to the land) and someone had been trespassing/pinching wood and off cuts etc which I'd set aside to have a good old fire with my kids after their first proper evening rabbiting.

Have caught the same codger twice now deviating 300yds off the footpath that goes across the field at dusk - the second time seeing him take some waney edge offcuts.

I've just returned from there this evening (and have just read this thread). There I have left a neat small pile of logs smeared on the underside with my obliging springers fresh Mr Whippy :eek:

Just remember Red when down stream having a drink of water from the rivers edge..! use both hands old boy ..you'll get more in ..:D

Ps. Could'nt resist, Buck.

Last edited:
As the Soham murberer, Huntley, found out, you CAN get fingerprints from polythene bags. But I guess it depends if the police can be bothered. However it may be that the equivalent, where you are, of the Environment Agency OR the local water supplied may be. These two bodies do take environmental pollution very seriously and do prosecute. It may be worth giving them a call?

+1 on the trail camera - I'm currently having a field shelter built (live remote to the land) and someone had been trespassing/pinching wood and off cuts etc which I'd set aside to have a good old fire with my kids after their first proper evening rabbiting.

Have caught the same codger twice now deviating 300yds off the footpath that goes across the field at dusk - the second time seeing him take some waney edge offcuts.

I've just returned from there this evening (and have just read this thread). There I have left a neat small pile of logs smeared on the underside with my obliging springers fresh Mr Whippy :eek:

i know it's completely off topic but this reminds me of many years ago when I was working as a chef in a Plymouth hotel we had a Spanish waiter who would keep knocking off the garnishes for the roast despite being told repeatedly not to. The next time we had a roast chicken we cut open a few chipolata sausages, laced them with Tabasco and set the trap. In he came, picked up two of the treated sausages and shot out swallowing them as he went. We peeked out into the restaurant a few minutes later and there he was necking water as fast as he could and was, to out it mildly, in extreme discomfort, didn't do it again!!

Nothing to do with this post but what's the legality of putting a trail cam on someone else's land, I ask because I know of someone who got into trouble because his security camera could pickup images beyond his property.

If you put a trail cam on someone else's land without their permission my guess is that the law of trespass may be invoked.

Taking a picture of someone on public land (including a footpath) without their permission, or without warning them that their photo may be taken, is likely to breach European Data Protection Laws. There was a case last year about the use of CCTV that could pick up a public footpath - even though the TV images helped to catch a criminal they were challenged over the use of the camera to capture images of the public.

As ever, best to seek legal advice rather than the opinions of an Internet forum ;)

Stupid isn't it ?
One of the most heavily camera'd countries in the world but get one yourself &. Can't do **** with it .... Only in the UK !

Back