Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That drilling, at last in all its' accessorised splendour!

That drilling, at last in all its' accessorised splendour!

Good morning!

This thread is shameless showing off, I admit it. Also advertising for some fantastic craftsman-and-womanship.

Here are some photos of my fully restored and pretty much as new J. P. Sauer drilling in 16 bore and 7x57R. The restoration (complete strip, clean, reassembly and adjustment to the head of the stock) was carried out by Erwin at Alan Rhone. The sling, in oak-tanned leather with a pigskin suede backing to prevent slipping from the shoulder, was made to measure by John Newton, contactable through JasonH on here, as was the cartridge wallet. Finally, the canvas and leather gunslip was made to measure by Jennifer Roy of The Springfield Saddler.

I am ridiculously proud of the overall result. Now I just need to use it!

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0047~2.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	54319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	54320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0051.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	54321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	54322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	54323

That is a beautiful set up PM. I need one! Does the zero stay spot on when taken apart and put back together?

Absolutely stunning!
    Congratulations.

Very Nice indeed

Wow.

Worth all the headaches.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    PM

That's not a real pirate's gun - you should gift the Sauer to me and get yourself one of these instead:

I have to say that the finished drilling really does look the business and will I am sure, serve you well, give you a great deal of pleasure and hopefully many happy hunting memories.

The restoration work also looks top-notch.

Any chance of some close up shots of the action?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have to say that the finished drilling really does look the business and will I am sure, serve you well, give you a great deal of pleasure and hopefully many happy hunting memories.

The restoration work also looks top-notch.

Any chance of some close up shots of the action?
    Oh I'm sure you can help me create some memories later this year... Regarding keeping the zero, that's not a problem, those claw-mounts are rock solid. However just now, I don't know where the zero is! I'm off the Bisley in three weeks to find out, and test my homeloads. Erwin did boresight and adjust the scope for me so I daresay it's not far off. It certainly grouped very well when I first tried it.

I'll see about some close up action shots later. It's just that right now I'm trying to type this whilst YPM tried to switch the PC off so I'm not going to muck around with guns....

Looks like a Nickel Marburg scope from the trademarks position, they are very high quality units.
    Now a tip from me, after unloading the drilling move the safety into the fire position, then pull both triggers as you are closing the action to about the halfway position = 2 cocking pins will close, now slide the tang barrel selector to the rear and pull the rear trigger as you fully close the drilling then the 3rd cocking pin will close = now the drilling has all 3 hammer springs tensions released, this is for storage or transport in the assembled form.
    I learnt this trick from a berufsjaeger pal of mine in Germany.
    Weidmannsheil and have an enjoyable time using it.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    now the drilling has all 3 hammer springs tensions released, this is for storage or transport in the assembled form.
    Martin
    I'm interested to know the thinking behind why some consider it necessary to release the springs? My shotguns are left in the cocked position without harm. Thinking about it, as one example, my Winchester 101, which I bought in 1984, has been left cocked for 30 years. It gets used on 4-5 days during the game season, fires about 100 rounds a year, and has never missed a beat.

Oh, and PM, that is some top quality kit you have there. Excuse me while I wipe my chin.

-JMS