Thread: Skin conditions

Skin conditions

Hi,

One of my GSP'S is starting to get dry skin under her neck and forelegs which she is scratching. It's not a major problem at the moment but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

She is ten and lives with another dog so I suspect that any cream would be quickly licked off. Something in tablet form would be ideal.

Thanks,
    Glyn.

I'm giving cod liver oil to my terrier for joint issues as a side effect his skin and coat have been much better he no longer has dandruff. Might be worth a shot just the cheep capsules.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    I'm giving cod liver oil to my terrier for joint issues as a side effect his skin and coat have been much better he no longer has dandruff. Might be worth a shot just the cheep capsules.
    Regards
    I do that on and off and I've started again this weekend.

Glyn,

Worth checking for surface mites first - you can usually see them with a magnifying glass and they're easy to sort out. Although less likely, if your dog works in areas where Charley fox is common, then it's worth checking for mange as well, and certainly before it spreads in your kennel!

If it turns out to be a bit of dry skin, then a table spoon of simple vegetable oil in their food every day usually keeps them shiny!

I rate Grizzly Salmon oil as a supplement which keeps the coat and skin in top condition.

i've tried cheaper salmon oils but the grizzly stuff seems thicker and better, very easy to use pump and works out about 7 per month.

Grizzly Salmon Oil on Sale | Free UK Delivery | PetPlanet.co.uk

Regards

BP

[QUOTE=Glyn 1;941894]Hi,

One of my GSP'S is starting to get dry skin under her neck and forelegs which she is scratching. It's not a major problem at the moment but I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Too many options to be certain I'm afraid. I'd need to see her, so I suggest a trip to your vet. Not hugely helpful, but the skin can look the same with so many causes

Go to Vet to check it out.
    My HWV had a small dry patch on his back which turned into wet eczema spread like wildfire. Ended up with normal huge bill for shaving area cream and cortisone pills