Thread: Visitors permits

Visitors permits

Advice please from people who have actual experience in this.
    My friend who lives in Montana USA is planning on coming over in August for a roe buck, he wants to bring his rifle with him.
    I have found the form on Devon and Cornwall police website.
    Is it all pretty straight forward?, it looks ok to me.
    What happens with security when he is visiting me?
    I have 2 gun cabinets, one for my rifles and one for my shotguns.
    Many thanks
    Richard

One way around it Richard is to put all your guns in one cabinet and give him the keys for the other one another way would be for him to take the bolt from the gun and hide it away from you thereby de-activating the firearm as you would while leaving it in a vehicle thereby preventing unauthorised use. I think either of these options would be sufficient to meet the requirements of the act, you can take it to further lengths but I would think they were not needed. These are the options I use with my overseas clients normally getting them to leave the gun with me but removing the bolt which they keep. Hope this helps Regards Terry

Thanks Terry, yes that would work, i like to anticipate the questions that might be asked.
    I will contact the police tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Richard

I used to do a lot of visitors permits quite straight forward for visitors from Europe who hold a European Pass a little more involved for someone coming from the USA when I did them for clients from the USA the police required
    a letter from their local Police Chief stating that they had no criminal record.

Best check with your local police as we all know how different areas can put a different slant on things

As has already been said your security should be adequate, again check with your local police authority.

One thing that I should mention, and many seem to overlook is that when you apply for a Visitors Firearm Permit
    you are agreeing to sponsor that person, and as such you may be held responsible for any breech of the conditions of the permit by said person.

Well, a little more investigation and i have found out the following when i apply.

The visitor from the USA needs a letter as stated above from their local police, or as it turns out in my friends case the Sheriffs department.

My local FEO office stated the security of his firearms has nothing to do with me, it is his responsibility, after all after he leaves me how can i have any influence on the security of his firearm?
    I have obviously retained this email from them.
    However common sense dictates i keep his rifle in my cabinet and he retains the bolt whilst he stays with me.

Cheers

Richard

I have and still apply for a great many over seas visitors permits.

The firearm is the visitors responsibility when it comes to security. However they will be bringing it over in a hardcase, and once in the UK I always put on the application form that the firearm will be kept in a locked hard case with the bolt removed and kept separate from the rifle at all times when not in use. Also make sure it is not a semi auto, which some American clients use in the states, and not allowed in the UK.
    Keeping his rifle in your cabinet is ok as long as you have the keys and he keeps the bolt separate in his gun case, that to me would tick all the boxes as far as making the firearm useless and unobtainable for anyone but the client.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thanks Malc, i will heed that advice on the application.

It is not a semi-auto, it's a single shot custom rifle.

Cheers

Richard

Be aware that there may be some changes in store, from our side. There are several proposed (not yet enacted) rules the combat international small arms trafficking that will also make the paperwork for us the double or triple. I can't really say though what the final rules will be. So - have your friend also stay abreast on the US rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Be aware that there may be some changes in store, from our side. There are several proposed (not yet enacted) rules the combat international small arms trafficking that will also make the paperwork for us the double or triple. I can't really say though what the final rules will be. So - have your friend also stay abreast on the US rules.
    Are you referring to this?
    https://www.ice.gov/cpi/faq
    Cheers
    Richard