Thread: fallow grazing

fallow grazing

I am toying with planting/seeding some nice opened up forest areas,what would you guys suggest for attracting fallow,I was thinking of packet seed or similar,thanks in advance,
    Tony.

Hi tony im not sure on this but you will have to check which plants will actually grow in a forestry/woodland system , and also permission ,good luck anyway,doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    I am toying with planting/seeding some nice opened up forest areas,what would you guys suggest for attracting fallow,I was thinking of packet seed or similar,thanks in advance,
    Tony.
    What sort of sized areas? What is the forest around is it softwood plantation or broadleave? Are the areas linked?

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Tony.
    Hi not long ago I spotted on the bay "throw and grow" found in deerstalking quite cheap per bag, something I am going to try this year, also have noticed Fallow love to graze young Willow leaves and Willow is a cinch to grow almost anywhere, might be worth considering a few saplings just pushed into wettish ground?

regards WB

Thanks guys the woods are mainly mixed woods oaks beech ash,holly,with opened up areas about,football field size.
    I guess what I would like to know is what fallow,munty would eat thats readily availble plant wise, not the usual,carrot,cowbean,sugar beet.
    Tod.

check with muntjacstalker/willie gunn/elmer fudd and others to see whats growing on their patches,bramble /willow etc
    DONT START

If the areas are newly opened I wouldn't be in a hurry to plant them up as letting the light in will encourage the natural flora, if you have brambles you will have deer! My advise would be put up the high seats and wait.
    If they are new glades it will take a little while to grass/scrub up, if you have high deer pressure some temporary fencing to protect areas for a 12 months then move to allow the next patch to grow, work the area a little like coppicing.

Kings cover crops (and i'm sure the other will too) do a deer lawn mix

If the wood has been opened up to allow light in, then it will be to promote natural re-generation. This will be achieved by natural 'pioneer' species generally in the form of grasses and nettles followed by brambles and then the natural hardwoods will follow. Birch and elder can take hold very quickly, but other species such a hazel and ash are better if you aim to coppice.
    You really need to check with the owner or woodland manager before you go introducing alien species to attract deer as you could land yourself in a whole heap of trouble by losing grant scheme money! I would also question your motives for trying to attract deer to an area where natural re-gen is being encouraged?
    Fallow are more of a bulk feeding grazing species which favour grass and crops. If you really want to attract ALL species to one particular area (in front of a high seat?) then you could do a lot worse than simply placing a pheasant type feeder full of corn there! Guaranteed success without upsetting the owner or the biodiversity of the wood!
    MS