Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The value of using "signed for" (again!)

The value of using "signed for" (again!)

Ill try to keep this short as it is only a quick word of caution, i sent my certificate in to North Wales Police for a variation 2 weeks ago. Only a simple one for one .308 for a 6.5 so i thought i would give them a quick ring to a: see if it had got there ok, but b: to see if they had made any progress.

Anyway, the response was, "oh well we haven't received anything" **** thinks I its lost.

well as I now send everything to the firearms dept signed for i checked and sure enough it had been received and signed for!

So a quick phone call back, and sure enough, they had found it in a tray somewhere.

Now I'm not angry or trying to stir anything up (although i do feel that a one for one of this nature could reasonably be turned round in 2 weeks) but this is the second time I have had this happen. The other time was with my renewal!

I'm not surprised that they get behind if applications sit unacknowledged in their office for 2 weeks! How long would it have sat there had i not phoned?

Anyway the take home message is, sending it signed for is 1.42 well spent as had i not done so then I would have had to accept that they hadn't received it!

Worth considering?

I always photocopy every page of the certificate going back, keep a copy of the covering letter and attach the 'sign for' receipt. As you say its a couple of quid well spent.

+1
    It pays to be paranoid
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    +1
    It pays to be paranoid
    ....and just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they're after you....

Did the same with Gloucestershire 2 years ago, variation, not received. So I wait 10 minutes then ring back having checked it was signed for and lo and behold "we've found it in the incoming mail tray" I blame understaffing, but now they've increased the fees ........,,,

Quote Originally Posted by NickyA View Post
    ........... I blame understaffing, but now they've increased the fees ........,,,
    They'll be able to afford a much bigger in tray!

+1 on recorded, always send it recorded after having a shotgun that wasn't put on my file and I got lil telling off because they said it wasn't received!! Well worth the money now?

I always personally hand letters or documents in - I appreciate that not everyone can do this.
    The other thing I do is on the phone I start by saying my name and informing them that the phone call is being recorded for record purposes.
    It's amazing how attitudes change when you say those words

It is understaffing, I sold a rifle to a gunshop, who then received a call from my local firearms dept, saying that I had not informed them, the shop rang me and asked if I had , which I had by registered mail, I rang said office, and was told by a lovely lady, in a loud voice, obviously she new the who it was " don,t know who is wasting there time, but we have a pile of unopened letters from before Christmas" this was in February of this year, she then said, don,t write to us about disposals, just send a E Mail as it's quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    I always personally hand letters or documents in - I appreciate that not everyone can do this.
    The other thing I do is on the phone I start by saying my name and informing them that the phone call is being recorded for record purposes.
    It's amazing how attitudes change when you say those words
    I always take mine into my firearms department to make sure they get it.Did it last week & found out that they had moved back to there old place,feo did not tell me.