Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Children, FACs and sharing rifles

Children, FACs and sharing rifles

Gents just wondering how those of you with children holding FACs handle things?

I presently have a near 21y.o who has had his FAC for just under 4 years. From issue he had the same rifles as me listed on his ticket (couple of rimfires and a .243) so we have had no issues with storage etc.
    I have however recently had a variation for and purchased a .270 and Marlin .45-70
    The extra rifles are presently solely on my FAC so therefore storage gets more complicated. As my eldest with the FAC is at Uni it isnt really a big deal for him to have no access to the gun cabinets except through me. Alternatively could have an extra cabinet that my rifles are stored in and solely I have access to. Or could apply for the same variation for him such that everything is still shared and back to the status quo..
    Well nearly! Youngest son who will shortly be 18 is just applying for his FAC (hopefully pre price rise!) So a further complication, as I dont imagine the .45-70 would be smiled upon by West Mercia on a first FAC (although with a Mentor there shouldnt be any problem..)

So do you guys with children who shoot;

1) Share everything and have FACs as identical as possible?
    2) Have separate storage so they only have access to some of your rifles?
    3) They have no direct access so you unlock the cabinet and hand them what is on their FAC?
    4) Get them to move out and get their own rifles!!!

With younger children its obviously less of an issue its really when they are older and more independent that it gets more tricky and expensive if doing family size variations - god forbid!

1 best option

4 never happens even when they move

Sharing everything I guess might be easiest, once done. But things get complicated if one or both of your offspring don't have and can't get some of the rifles on their certificates. It also (will soon) cost the Greek national debt if you want a variation and it needs done to everyone's certificates. That doesn't apply if you're settled with what you've got rifle-wise so variations aren't too likely.

Maybe the easiest solution could be just have a separate smaller cabinet for the guns only you have on your certificate.

Kids! Huh!

my mrs and I both have identicle FACs, she shoots but its easier for the access bit to have identical certs, only prob is if i buy ammo i need to enter it on her cert and vice versa, seems daft but hey ho thats the system

You could probably still get away with keeping all in same cabinet if you also use trigger locks and/or cable locks through the actions, and each of you store your own bolts separately.

Blog Entries
    3 is going to be easiest and cheapest.

The rest require time an investment and unless the 21 year old is going to freak out I would save my battle with Mercia until he at least finishes Uni.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Options 1,2 and 3 all have their pros and cons.

Just don't go for option 4 as that would most likely incur the wrath of the 'Chief Fairy' (their mother) !.

Issues of multiple possession and security are routine for the licensing unit.

I would suggest that you either wait for the FEO to visit for your younger son's application, or e-mail the licensing manager for advice.
    When all is said and done, it will be what the police will accept that really matters. It should not cause a problem though.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Sharing everything I guess might be easiest, once done. But things get complicated if one or both of your offspring don't have and can't get some of the rifles on their certificates. It also (will soon) cost the Greek national debt if you want a variation and it needs done to everyone's certificates. That doesn't apply if you're settled with what you've got rifle-wise so variations aren't too likely.

Maybe the easiest solution could be just have a separate smaller cabinet for the guns only you have on your certificate.

Kids! Huh!
    I am more than happy that I won't be needing to change anything in the foreseeable future so further variations shouldn't be too much of an overhead.

I think we will just progress the application for the youngest and list everything on there with a covering letter explaining the reasons why and see what the reaction is! I imagine much rolling of eyes and being told that simplified security arrangements isn't a reason for the youngest to have access to everything....

Should it be successful then hopefully a variation for the eldest would have the status quo returned!

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post

Just don't go for option 4 as that would most likely incur the wrath of the 'Chief Fairy' (their mother) !.
    Definitely agree with regard to keeping the 'Chief Fairy' sweet. She hasn't realised the Marlin looks different to the other rifles she has previously frowned at!!!!

That discussion is for another time lol

My lad was 18 when he got his section 1 ticket, everything I have was put on his section 1 ticket with no arguments from Lancs police they've always been helpful and never refused any reasonable request. Option #4 is definitely out as far as the lad leaving home he wouldn't go to live with is mum and I'd have to beat his hands off the door frame with a tire iron to shift him.

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?