Photon night sight, buy now or wait for new model ?

private fraser

Title says it really.

I will be buying a Photon, just wondered if the new one had any real advantage or disadvantage.
The new one isn't around in the uk yet as far as I know so it's not available to see.
Tricky.

Any thoughts ?

Hi PF,

Is another new Photon on the way or do you mean the XT?

I have the MKI 5x42 Photon which for the price is very good, with a NM 800 bolted on I can easily shoot 100yds. The onboard IR is good but a bit 'grainy' compared to the NM800. I have had a look through the XT version and I would say it has the edge on picture quality over my Photon. The biggest difference is the windage / elevation adjustment is done digitally now, the MkI has traditional turrets, I also prefer the latest eyepiece.

ATB

T

Title says it really.

I will be buying a Photon, just wondered if the new one had any real advantage or disadvantage.
The new one isn't around in the uk yet as far as I know so it's not available to see.
Tricky.

Any thoughts ?

Unless you can get a discount on the 4.6x42, spend another c£20 on the 6.5x50. I got one yesterday. You cannot plug an auxiliary power pack into the 6.5x50, that's the only drawback I can think of.

Yes it's the xt I'm interested in thomas and the latest one is the 6.5x50 one above.

Thanks JTO, I wasn't aware that the 6.5 was available yet.

I'm not bothered about the aux power, will just carry spare batteries. There's enough to faff about with without bringing more leads etc into it.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure the aux power is available on the 4.6xt either.

Thanks

Aux power is not available on any of the XTs the other draw back of the 6.5 is there is not a doubler set up for it but you might not need one.

There were a few around but none now.
I checked around today and they are on back order everywhere.
Looks like April but more probably May before they hit the shops.

Have you posted the question on nv forum ? They'll know if there's any available.

It was you that signed up the other day, yes?

Hello

We are are perplexed that some of you have found 6.5x50 Photon XT on the UK market, as we have been reliably informed these have not even gone into production yet, other than some samples for shows and testing etc.

I will have an "official" answer on this shortly for you.

Regards

Paul

Hello all,

Ok, some "official" wording on the status of Photon XT 6.5x

The Photon XT 6.5x is not yet available in the UK and has in fact not yet gone in production.

Production was due to commence in April, but this has not been confirmed, therefore we will update as soon as we know a firm production date.

We, and other dealers have stock on order with the factory via the UK distributor, and will let everyone know via our Facebook page and website as soon as stock is enroute to us.

Best Regards

Paul

Similar problem to me. I've been thinking for a bit about buying a Yukon Photon, or perhaps something similar. But things are moving so fast. The updated version is hardly old at all and there's the new updated one in the wings (or will they be sold side by side?). The thing is, you buy something and six months later, there's something better on the market.

I guess you just have to dive in, so long as it does the job you want.

Similar problem to me. I've been thinking for a bit about buying a Yukon Photon, or perhaps something similar. But things are moving so fast. The updated version is hardly old at all and there's the new updated one in the wings (or will they be sold side by side?). The thing is, you buy something and six months later, there's something better on the market.

I guess you just have to dive in, so long as it does the job you want.

Spot on Pedro, NV and thermal will continue developing for a long time to come. providing you get something in the first place that does the job I can't see a problem.
I've had some NV gear for years now and no matter what comes out now, the old stuff still works fine for me.

PF I would wait for the new improved model.

Apart from the numbers, perhaps there are not a lot of improvements, if the manual is already published and issued with the other XT models, before the 6.5 x 50 is even being produced.

Back