View Poll Results: Would or do you use thermal to spot deer?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

64 63.37%
  • No

37 36.63%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would/do you use thermal for spotting deer??

Would/do you use thermal for spotting deer??

Dead simple poll this one.

Would or do you use a thermal imager for spotting deer and then go on to stalk them in the conventional way?

Reason I ask is my shooting buddy rocked up last night with a huge grin and giddy as a schoolboy as unbeknown to me he had bought an HD38 thermal mainly for foxing. We had a mooch about, I had my .308 and he asked if I wanted to know if he spotted a deer with it before I did with my bins. I actually couldn't make my mind up and as it was we didn't see any before I had to leave him to it,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Personally, no I wouldn't. I have been out with someone who had one and they are wonderful bits of kit. I can see for pest control they are ideal, almost essential.

If I was under directions to eliminate all deer on a piece of ground I might be tempted to use one, but for me it took away part of the "challenge" of deer stalking (for want of a better word), in that a scan of some woodland identified a roe doe bedded down under some cover that otherwise I would not have seen.

Knowing it was there transformed it from a quarry species into a target, for me at least. Yes, there would still be the challenge of stalking up to the animal, but knowing it was already there from a thermal image rather than using my powers of observation spoiled it for me.

Stalking is a game of chance, which is what I find attractive about it. For me it's much more than about simply "slotting" deer - killing the quarry is a bi-product of the activity, not the sole aim. I am sure there are plenty on this site who will view things differently, and I won't argue with them for that.

Yes, I use optical sights on my rifle for deer. Yes, I use a rifle that can kill from a distance. Yes, I use binoculars and other handy gadgets. So Yes, I accept that I am being illogical when it comes to Thermal.

Illogical, perhaps, but it's not for me. If others want to use them, that's a personal decision they are welcome to make and they needn't be criticised for doing so.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 25-03-2015 at 10:49. Reason: spelling....and a bit more
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Yes, and I do. I also use it for boar.

ATB

T
    Last edited by thomas; 25-03-2015 at 10:33.

i used mine to spot boar the other week.

I have used them and excellent doesn't make the stalking that easy though. Absolutely brilliant for spotting roe in scrubby vegation on banks, as Martin found out last year when we had a mooch around some of his ground. I expect would transform deer control on rough clear fell areas when roe were barely visible/obscured. Also v usefull on fallow in my extremly limited experience.

D

Yes I would use it for deer both before and after the shot

no as a recreational stalker with no pressure to hit a cull plan and i wouldnt want to see it used by recreational stalkers either, but i can see where it would be very usfull if you really had to get stuck into your deer and for use at night to actually work out your deer numbers i can see it being out of this world

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    no as a recreational stalker with no pressure to hit a cull plan and i wouldnt want to see it used by recreational stalkers either, but i can see where it would be very usfull if you really had to get stuck into your deer and for use at night to actually work out your deer numbers i can see it being out of this world
    This is basically the conclusion I have come to after mulling it over today too. One landowner (where we were last night) wants all the Muntjac shot so I think on his land I would say yes to my buddy, but my other areas that I am lucky to stalk as purely recreational I would say no. I am also in a DMG so it'll be interesting next time I meet up with them to hear their thoughts too as that is all dense woodland and really quite difficult to stalk,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I know someone who uses his Thermal viewer to find his spent cartridges! (as well as deer!)
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I find this thread to show just how far down the slopes deer stalking has gone.
    A while back I remember the semantics that were going on with the words 'deer stalking' and what is deer stalking.
    Well if the results are anything to go by 'deer stalking' no longer exists and it has merely been reduced to 'kill deer at all costs'.
    Before I get slayed by SD trial, I would ask that if thermal cost less than £1000 how many of you would then use them? The only reason that they are not seen more often is probably nothing more than to do with cost.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama