Thread: Coyote's and other varmints

Coyote's and other varmints

Just got back from my latest trip to USA hunting for Coyote mainly.
    I have been over 6 times now and it just keeps getting better each trip.
    Managed to shoot three Coyotes on my previous trip and only one on the last.

I was out with a good friend and his mate, set up a call and he started to play the "Fox pro" after about 25 mins I thought we should may be pull out and try somewhere else (that is the norm with this sort of hunting 15-30 mins) so when I heard a short bark fro my left I hopped that he would continue for at least five more minutes...he did.
    I spotted the "yote" trotting slowly coming fro my left, I have AR15 semi auto out in States, she kept coming in and I knew that the shot had to be taken before she went behind the small hollow to my right.
    Still trotting in i took the shot and she rolled over, she was dead before she stopped moving.
    That was my first Coyote "on the run" and the closest yet at just 38 yards.
    She has taken my total to seven now and the "buzz" I get is far greater than any deer or fox I have ever shot.

I met another friend in Wyoming and we shot about 30 Prairie dogs but did not see any "Yotes".

Next trip already booked! Can not wait to get back there.

Heres one we got in Illinos in February shot with 220 swift from 94 yards

It is a great and exciting time when you are hunting something that is hunting you.

if you think shooting them with a rifle is fun, try it with a bow. Lots of failure, but when you score, it is a high like no other.

We are not allowed Bows to hunt with in UK!???
    So I could not practice enough,and how close do you need to be at least 50-70 yards I would think.
    Good luck with your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    It is a great and exciting time when you are hunting something that is hunting you.

if you think shooting them with a rifle is fun, try it with a bow. Lots of failure, but when you score, it is a high like no other.

Just out of curiosity... why shoot the coyotes?...stock damage?
    How about the prairie dogs?
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

You can practice your bow hunting in the UK it's called field archery, animal targets at unmarked distances normally 30 to 40 targets on a course and distances of 5 to 60 yards. That how I keep my eye in

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Just out of curiosity... why shoot the coyotes?...stock damage?
    How about the prairie dogs?
    Coyotes do indeed cause stock damage, they can be quite harsh on calves and lambs. They also prey heavily on deer, especially fawns.

however, on the plus side they also prey heavily on domestic and feral pets. A stray cat, or wandering housecat often ends up as a meal. Likewise, small yappies are also prey.

Prarie dog are a hazard to stock also, when they for a colony they dig rather large holes, and lots of them, that cattle, horses, and sheep will break a leg in. On my brothers place in Colorado they even have some pastures that are unfit for stock due to the lil bastages. They will also eat quite a bit of forage, a large colony will each as much grass per day as a couple head of cattle

I believe Kentucky is well south do you get alot of cold weather down there?
    It was -7F on my last trip and with wind chill goodness knows what it was.