Thread: BSA Supersport-five

BSA Supersport-five

Hi;

I am planning to buy a BSA Supersport-five .22lr. It does not have a scope base so planning to mount a two piece Leupold quick release base, as the base is make and model specific and none available specifically for Supersport, want to know the compatible model that will suit.

Regards

It's rather an old rifle and never really designed to have a scope sight fitted to it so I think you will struggle to pick up an off the shelf mount that is suitable for the rifle. You will probably have to fabricate some sort of L shaped side mount and get the receiver drilled and tapped to accept it. Not impossible but a fair bit of work the alternative being an extended eye relief scope (sometimes called a scout scope) and drilling and tapping the barrel.

They are nice old rifles and can be quite accurate but it would probably be easier and cheaper to buy an old Brno/CZ than to go to the trouble of trying to fit a scope to one of these.
    Last edited by 8x57; 26-03-2015 at 12:02.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks.

We have very few choices and prices are exorbitant here in India.

I am planning to put a Leupold quick release base by drilling holes on the receiver as of Remington 700, so would like to get matching Leupold base. Preferring quick release base because I plan to use open sights too.

My Supersport 5 had a dovetail cut into the action & as long as I used decent rings it worked well. With Parker Hale steel rings my scope was always rock solid.
    I think some of these rifles have no dovetail so your idea of a Leupold style base is good - I'd suggest (if you can find one) getting a one piece base to avoid the problem of aligning two bases. Whether you will be able to get a quick release base that exactly matches the receiver diameter is a good question - there are also "engineer " bases made that can be machined to suit your particular rifle (I have a pair of these but they are not the QD style - they are the normal twist in front / side clamp rear style).

The biggest problem with Supersport 5 rifles is the magazines are difficult (almost impossible to find) to replace if you loose one or damage it (very easy to do as they are thin sheet metal).

Apart from that they are really good basic little rifles - Mine would easily hold .5" groups at 50 yards using decent ammunition. (RWS subsonics are my favorite).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by arun View Post
    Thanks.

We have very few choices and prices are exorbitant here in India.

I am planning to put a Leupold quick release base by drilling holes on the receiver as of Remington 700, so would like to get matching Leupold base. Preferring quick release base because I plan to use open sights too.
    If you can measure the diameter of the receiver you might be able to match up a base from another rifle to the BSA. You will need two of the same base since the receiver is not contoured in the rear like the 700 or a model 70. You could also buy a piece or Picatinney rail stock and mill the bottom to fit the BSA and then cut two lengths to mount on the gun.

SS

SD Regular
    I have a Supersport 5 and it was fitted with a Leoupold 'scope. The rings were Parker Hale and the 'scope was fitted using those P-Hale rings. So it can be done. But! Can you find the rings?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I am yet to get the rifle on hand, so unable to measure the receiver diameter, if any one of you could please help me with the diameter and the compatible mount to go for would be helpful. I would like to shoot with open sights too that is the reason preferring Leupold quick release bases. Are there any other methods to toggle between open sights and scope without affecting zero?

My supersport 5, has a pair of Aluminium dovetail rail screwed to the recever and the scope mounted on standard rings.
    For 10 years it had 5-6000 rounds through it per year,in the past ten years its had about 10,000 and I am not sure what it fired the previous 30 years and it still produces 1 hole groups at 50 yards!!!
    If you wish to use both Iron and scope, one solution is to use higher see through scope mounts, that way you look at the iron through the mounts.

I am planning to order a Leupold quick release base of Steyr M classic, hopefully it would suit.