Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did it goAnd how far?

Where did it goAnd how far?

Where did it goAnd how far?

My use of trigonometry only comes in to play these days when laying out a large fabrication job on the floor ( 3-4-5) to get a right angle.

I shoot from my quad sticks 90% of the time for foxes also a few Muntjac and always wondered what angle the round was travelling at?
    My zero plate is around 14 inches high ( around the height of a fox side on)

As I zero at 200 yards this gives a few known factors for working out the angle,
    Yes there is bullet drop but just for the purposes of the maths and to avoid any bun fights I worked it out at 6 degrees

Height of my rifle on the sticks is 56 and the target/fox is 14 with the distance of 200 yards, also my sticks would be at 90 deg.

So 56-14 = 42
    Then divide 42 by 200 yards (7200 inches) = 0.0058 (6deg)

My question isHow far would the round travel past the 14 inch target at the same angle.

For the purpose of the question I was not including bullet drop as it would involve a lot of different data.

Just a bit of fun so no falling out please..

Tim.243

So the question is how far is 6degrees drop from 14inches? 133 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    So the question is how far is 6degrees drop from 14inches? 133 inches.
    Yes to the 6 deg and 14 inches, to the 11 yards I don't know but hope the rest of the answers come up the same, but it seems about right.
    Miss a Red or Fallow and then the angle and distance is a lot different.
    Thanks for the reply

Tim.243

mmmm ignoring the 6 degrees????
    a third as far again. 66.6 yards

just use VMax!
    too much brain ache

all the mental maths you like wont account for a skimmer off a rib that flicks up instead of down

SD Regular
    All you need is the Projectile formula....Trajectory of a projectile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - the one starting d=.....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Try some tracer rounds to see... from then on you make sure you have plenty of back stop before even thinking of taking the shot

Watch a night shoot at the big sandy on youtube.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

skip to 3:00m
    and his angle is much steeper than yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Snip...

Height of my rifle on the sticks is 56 and the target/fox is 14 with the distance of 200 yards, also my sticks would be at 90 deg.

So 56-14 = 42
    Then divide 42 by 200 yards (7200 inches) = 0.0058 (6deg)

My question isHow far would the round travel past the 14 inch target at the same angle.

Tim.243
    Intriguing calculations going on here...the 6˚ is way off according to my schoolboy recollection of trigonometry. Tanks Oppose Artillery, Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent which gets you to the 0.0058 but that is the tangent of the angle, the included angle is a third of a degree. 0.3342215just saying.

badbob arrived at the same answer as I did, 2400 inches, 200 feet or 66.6 yards. your choice

I must admit I would not bother with calculating the angle myself, just go with the ratios of the triangles7200:42 = 2400:14 = 9600:56

I guess from the wording of his post badbob was smart enough to notice the relationship of the heights and do it in his head...56 and 42 both being divisible by 14I wasn't

Alan