Thread: Attaching head to plaque?

Attaching head to plaque?

Good evening,

I have just recently done my first roe buck head. I had some help cutting the skull, I think it is a long nose cut, done right at the base of the eye sockets all the way through to the nasal bone.

I bought a bracket off eBay to mount it to the plaque but it seems that I haven't brought the right one.

Anyone help me with what I need to buy? Hopefully its obvious from above what I have done, but if not I'll dig my camera out and put some pics up.

I am not doing very well with this, the plaque isn't big enough either, so will need to buy another plaque, I'll try and get the right bracket at the same time once I know what I need.

Regards,

Karl

A fairly simple way is to cut a small piece of wood to fit into brain cavity, then stuff cavity with mastic and push wood in flush with skull - wait for it to set, then countersink two screws from back of plaque into the block when head is straight...

Alternately I have a bag of roe brackets and it's unbelievably unlikely that I'll need them all, so if you PM me your address I'll post you one.

i fill the cavity with filler ,the quick drying wood one works well ,then stick a m10 bolt in it ,thread out nice and straight. then drill a m10 hole in the wood ,counter sink the other side for the bolt so it tightens up flush with the back ,then cut off bolt with grinder flush with the wood ,job done .

+ one for the spring toggles, Simples!
    Walk little- look often .

All the above will work you can also buy the correct fittings from the likes of Bushwear.

Thanks guys. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	54491Mike - I had some of those, the clip didn't work on the skull, but then I realised the bolt was the same diameter but longer, problem solved!

PM, a kind offer, but for now my issue is solved.

So - my first skull mount! I got carried away inside breaking bits out after boiling, but lesson learnt for next time.

Now the question is - do I need a bigger plaque?

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Thanks guys. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	54491Mike - I had some of those, the clip didn't work on the skull, but then I realised the bolt was the same diameter but longer, problem solved!

PM, a kind offer, but for now my issue is solved.

So - my first skull mount! I got carried away inside breaking bits out after boiling, but lesson learnt for next time.

Now the question is - do I need a bigger plaque?
    Not a bad first go!

I would leave it on that plaque personally.

Bigger shield I would say, I mount mine full skull and instead of using a toggle I drill a hole in the base of the skull into the brain cavity and insert an expanding dry wall plug. Position skull on head and mark hole on shield. Drill approx 5 mm hole , countersink on back and use approriate length 3 mm screw and screw thought shield into the dry wall plug. Dead easy, cheap and you can see very little.

D