Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the quickest, most humane way to despatch a wounded deer with a knife?

What is the quickest, most humane way to despatch a wounded deer with a knife?

Before everyone tells me that this shouldn't be done, I ask this because I was following a discussion on a French forum on this topic, albeit a different angle. As many of you know, it's quite common on the continent to despatch wounded deer or boar with a knife, dagger or even a spear, especially on driven hunts. It made me think that I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be. I could finish off the poor creature, but I'm not confident that I'd be using the most humane method, especially as we don't usually carry the sorts of daggers designed for the purpose. It strikes me as a thing we should know in case for whatever reason, a bullet isn't available.

There you go, a controversial question on a Thursday night for you.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Im no expert but if it hasn't got antlers get your hand under its chin and pull its head back and cut through to its spine cutting both carotid arteries. (halal style)

if it has antlers I would stand on its neck to stop it waving its points in your direction and do the same.

Another technique is to come from behind and stab between the atlas and axis vertebrae to paralyse it which is what I've seen a stalker do.

Depends on the knife and the skill of the person using it! The most accessible artery is the carotid but you still have to wait for the animal to bleed out. I alway practice putting a knife into the atlas joint on a dead deer before I take the head off. I used this method once but quickly followed by severing the carotid as I wasn't confident it was enough on its own. If we are good stalkers its not something we get much practice at especially as a second bullet is normally preferable to going in with a knife. Its never a nice way to finish a job.

Atlas joint or throat, specie, size depending on the final outcome.

I do not know what the quickest or most humane way is. I have however witnessed the despatch of a Roe doe with a knife after it had been brought down by dogs. Unplanned I hasten to add.

The knife point was pushed through the throat from the side, just below the back of the jaw, with its cutting edge outward, then the blade was brought forward and cut through everything. The animal bled out very fast and was dead in seconds.

The knife wielder was a retired butcher and had worked in a slaughter house during his career.

Alan

I would want to make very clear to any novice reading this thread. The atlas joint is not an option. It is not easy to find without practice especially when the adrenaline is pumping. If the knife is the only option it is best to make a quick risk assessment and go for the carotid by sticking a sharp knife through the neck just in front of the spine and cutting outwards. This way you avoid the resistance of all the fur.

a human will go unconscious within 3 seconds when blood supply is stopped from getting to the brain (i.e. carotids cut) so I'm guessing deer will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I do not know what the quickest or most humane way is. I have however witnessed the despatch of a Roe doe with a knife after it had been brought down by dogs. Unplanned I hasten to add.

The knife point was pushed through the throat from the side, just below the back of the jaw, with its cutting edge outward, then the blade was brought forward and cut through everything. The animal bled out very fast and was dead in seconds.

The knife wielder was a retired butcher and had worked in a slaughter house during his career.

Alan
    +1 Beat me to it.

Although it still can take a minute.

There you go, a consensus, thanks everyone. Although I hope not to have to remember it anytime soon...
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

I've found that if you remove the head entirely, that usually does the trick