Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Penalty fine and car insurance

Fixed Penalty fine and car insurance

About 18 months ago I was stopped by the Police driving my friends work truck. I was fully authorised to be using it (he was sitting next to me as we were sharing the driving on a long trip) but it turned out that, due to a cock up in the estate office, the MOT had expired. I, as the driver, was given a 60 fixed penalty fine but no points. The estate reimbursed me.

I contacted my insurance company who said that, as it was a minor offence with no points, they were not interested and there were no implications for my own insurance.

I am also a named driver on my girlfriends car and her father is concerned that I may not be covered. Obviously we will have to contact them but in the meantime does anyone have any experience in this area? I like to have a bit of a heads up before I pick the phone up.

Thanks, Glyn.

No implications for offences without points but why wouldn't you be covered for the other car if already a named driver?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    No implications for offences without points but why wouldn't you be covered for the other car if already a named driver?
    He's concerned that an undisclosed offence will nullify the cover. It appears that different insurance companies have different rules.

Better safe than sorry. It may or may not invalidate the insurance on your girlfriend's car. But as Glyn intimates, if it came to it and you had a bump and had to claim, you could bet there would be a clause that would mean they don't have to pay out because you failed to notify them. You girlfriend wouldn't be overjoyed and her father even less so I imagine - reaching for the shotgun cabinet?

Yes, I do have some experience in this area.
    A RT88096 (no MoT) is a non-endorsable offence, but is till a minor offence and should be declared if Glyn wants to ensure his cover is unaffected; you don't want to find out after a collision or similar that you have no cover for 'failing to declare', albeit a non-endorsable offence. Although we can note that 18 months have passed, so Glyn has probably been through a couple of renewals already - so wonder what decision he made at those points and 'what has changed' to raise the question now.

Personally I think Glyn has been very unlucky and has been let down by his mate and the vehicle owners.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Yes, I do have some experience in this area.
    A RT88096 (no MoT) is a non-endorsable offence, but is till a minor offence and should be declared if Glyn wants to ensure his cover is unaffected; you don't want to find out after a collision or similar that you have no cover for 'failing to declare', albeit a non-endorsable offence. Although we can note that 18 months have passed, so Glyn has probably been through a couple of renewals already - so wonder what decision he made at those points and 'what has changed' to raise the question now.

Personally I think Glyn has been very unlucky and has been let down by his mate and the vehicle owners.
    At the time I phoned my insurers and they said that it made no difference. Later, when I came to renew with a different company (always seem to have to change companies as the good prices are always only for new customers) I can't recall exactly how I handled it, I think it was an online thing that simply asked if you had any points or claims so the answer was no.

I'm not sure if this was any different for my girlfriend at her renewal or why the subject has come up again now. We'll have to contact them; great, its been a while since I had the pleasure of a 40 minute premium rate call to Mogadishu!

It was a pain getting stopped especially as it was 0300 in the morning and we were on our way to dart and collect deer but had to turn round and go home but we all make mistakes.

As I remember from my college law classes an insurance contract is one of uberrimae fidei or in English "utmost good faith". This means that it depends on the disclosure to the insurer by the insured of anything that might have relevance. For example if a jewellers employs a person that they know to be a convicted jewel thief, they do not advise the insurers and subsequently have a theft, the insurers can refuse to pay because, even if the convicted jewel thief was on holiday in Australia at the time, the insured failed to disclose clearly relevant information.

You should disclose the conviction but the insurer will not necessarily increase the premium or refuse to insure you, probably not in 99% of cases, but if you don't disclose it you may invalidate the insurance.

I think you should be fine though it would pay to check as some insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid paying out on a claim.

I read several months ago that an insurance company was refusing to pay out on a claim as the owner of the policy had said that her car was unmodified, however when an assessor had come to look at the car he had noticed that there was a sticker on the outside of the car which the owner had put on. The insurance company were then trying to make out that the car had been "modified" and was refusing to pay out!.... Absolutely ridiculous!
    Last edited by paultap; 27-03-2015 at 00:46.

Adding a little fuel to the fire here,.. ADMIRAL insurance, I have been led to believe they are asking the direct question, have you been offered and accepted any driver awareness /retraining in exchange for avoiding points offences. Won't be using them then.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

There are too many freeloaders in the UK that think they can just drive any vehicle without checking the legality or road worthiness. There is now no excuse for this as it can be done in seconds online or by the old fashioned way of reading or carrying the documents.
    Excuses by the roadside rarely work so never assume someone else is looking after what is your responsibility.