Thread: Bases for Large Ring Mauser Midland Gun Co.

Bases for Large Ring Mauser Midland Gun Co.

Need a set of bases for a large ring Mauser action. It is a Midland gun in .243 if that helps.
    Not Parker Hale mounts please as rings are impossible to find.
    Thanks.

just get a set of weaver M98 bases and something like warne rings, or a set of leupold front and rear bases and rings, or a one piece leupold base for that matter. They're all quite cheap really. I have found the leupold one piece bases and rings to be excellent value for money and really hold their zero. if going for a one piece base, be careful if it's the 3 screw version and you have two on the rear bridge as the one screw in the back might not align if yours is drilled with two.

The midland has different mounts to the standard large ring Mauser
    the rear bridge is higher and the difference between the two is less

leupold are you best bet

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    if going for a one piece base, be careful if it's the 3 screw version and you have two on the rear bridge as the one screw in the back might not align if yours is drilled with two.
    This is an important point and one I had forgotten about, thanks for that.
    I will call Joe at gunshop uk and see what he has, I was just thinking maybe someone on here had a pair of bases lying about that I could use and spare them from forever shuffling the set around the office:-)

graham.

A very sound and reliable, but, inexpensive mount system can be made from a set of Leupold QRW bases combined with Burris Signature Zee rings.

I use Talley QD-Screw Lock mounts by preference, but, have and have used many different types, from "claw mounts" to various integral bases/lock on rings. I find the QRW (OR) Weaver Grand Slam bases with Zee rings very useful and on less costly rifles or to develop loads to see if you want to keep a specific piece, they are an excellent option.

IF, I know I AM going to keep these permanently, I will "bed" and bond them to the receiver with a strong epoxy glue, here in Canada, the one to use is "J-B Weld" and one can adjust this to eliminate minor issues in receiver concentricity, typical of even highend Mausers.....you can also "build up" an "out of spec" ring using thin shimstock with this to reach the level you choose.

I much prefer these to most commercial mounts, other than the excellent Talleys.

I spent two weeks talking to the guys at Leupold Tech Support trying to spec bases for my Midland 2100 in308. We both gave up at the finish. They simply could not find bases with the required height difference and hole spacing.
    If you do find a Leupold base combination I would be very interested ( I re-fitted the PH bases and rings in the end)
    Hth

JohnT