Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Variable low power scope

Variable low power scope

I'm having a play with a little stumpy lightweight .308 at the moment. It will get used for woodland stalking, HD and possibly a bit of driven Boar. I will not have all the clutter of bipods and bits on it, designed for sticks and freehand shooting.

I need to put a scope on it, but as it's all a bit of an experiment at the moment so I don't want to go mad price wise. Scope has to be reasonably light - 500 grams ish, variable with low power 1.5 or below, high power 6 times or above. It needs to be illuminated, preferably with a dot you can see in daylight.

Not sure about the 20/24mm objectives, I think something over 30mm would be more flexible, especially when in woodland/low light settings.

Have looked at the following:

Nikon Monarch 1.5-6*42 - £500
    Nikko Sterling Diamond 1.5-6*44 - £140
    Sightron S111 1-7*24 - £500

Has anyone else got any other ideas which fit the bill and what are the opinions on the Nikko Sterling? Looks pretty good value on paper!
    So much to learn and so little time left

Hawke Endurance 30 low powered and illuminated..Firearm Centrefire rated and not silly money..I use Hawke End ,30s on my Sauer 202s ..7mm RemMag and .243 very impressed,good build quality too!¬Some the E Bay

I have just bought a Leupold Vx3 1.5-5x20 scope with nr 4 ret. Most probably going to stick it on a recently aquired 223 for range work and close range hunting. Suprisingly bright image for a 20mm objective.

I have an MTC Mamba 1.5-6 x 42 IR on my AR - comes in at 598 grams and was around £200 from memory.

Does a great job from close up to 100yds - the IR is decent and nicely visible (as long as you're not out in the open at midday). Comes with decent alloy flip ups too
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

If you are trying to do a lot of stuff with the scope it might be best to go for good glass so it would be worth comparing the scopes you suggest with some top end stuff in low light. It would be a pain if they weren't up to your low light requirements, for example. It may be that you could get something second hand from one of the big Euro names that would do your job. The other advantage of 2nd hand is that good glass will not lose any money while you own it, so you can usually sell it for what you paid for it.

If you want the best glass then Zeiss or Nickel are the place to go:

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/15642.aspx

http://www.zeiss.co.uk/sports-optics...es.html#models

Nickel doesn't often come up 2nd hand and I'm told that they went through a flaky period going back 20 or 30 years so very old ones are worth taking care over. Zeiss always win when someone does some quantitative comparisons on glass so they are right at the top of the game.

For some reason S&B tend to be a little cheaper and their glass is more than adequate for UK stalking, though not to Zeiss or Nickel standards, (myself and some friends have done last light tests and can't tell the difference between S&B and Swaro) so you might get something second hand below your £500 budget:

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/pr...42-zenith.html

I'm sure there may be some older Swaro models that would do your job as well, though you often pay a premium for them just for the "name" as they have a very strong band image. I don't think there is anything in their current line that you might see in your price range/performance requirements.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    If you are trying to do a lot of stuff with the scope it might be best to go for good glass so it would be worth comparing the scopes you suggest with some top end stuff in low light. It would be a pain if they weren't up to your low light requirements, for example. It may be that you could get something second hand from one of the big Euro names that would do your job. The other advantage of 2nd hand is that good glass will not lose any money while you own it, so you can usually sell it for what you paid for it.

If you want the best glass then Zeiss or Nickel are the place to go:

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/15642.aspx

http://www.zeiss.co.uk/sports-optics...es.html#models

Nickel doesn't often come up 2nd hand and I'm told that they went through a flaky period going back 20 or 30 years so very old ones are worth taking care over. Zeiss always win when someone does some quantitative comparisons on glass so they are right at the top of the game.

For some reason S&B tend to be a little cheaper and their glass is more than adequate for UK stalking, though not to Zeiss or Nickel standards, (myself and some friends have done last light tests and can't tell the difference between S&B and Swaro) so you might get something second hand below your £500 budget:

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/pr...42-zenith.html

I'm sure there may be some older Swaro models that would do your job as well, though you often pay a premium for them just for the "name" as they have a very strong band image. I don't think there is anything in their current line that you might see in your price range/performance requirements.
    this has got to be the ugliest scope with a price tag of equal proportions! Nickel AG: Nickel Magnum 1.5-6x30 EDS

that said, the concept is good, but what pig to look at!

If you are trying to keep the price down under £500, the nikon is not bad.

However, look on eBay for a new Meopta R2 in 1.7-10x42. The are about £775, and might be the best value in scopes out there.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    I have just bought a Leupold Vx3 1.5-5x20 scope with nr 4 ret. Most probably going to stick it on a recently aquired 223 for range work and close range hunting. Suprisingly bright image for a 20mm objective.
    Be very interested in how you get on with that,I have been looking at Minox z5 and c-more
    Not really understood why a smaller objective generally makes them more expensive

Having been through all the options I think I'm homing in on the Leupold VX6 1-6*24. Got an opportunity to pick one up for about £500 and although its not the best glass, it's not bad, the right weight, size, magnification and has the daylight illumination. Probably pretty good value and not worth going cheaper.

Thanks for your help guys.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Votex, review of what your after in one of the recent shooting mags. PS was it you who was after the sub sonic/low velocity .308 loads, if so see my post on .308 sub sonic loads.

D