Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 - whats wrong with it?

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

DSC1 - whats wrong with it?

Is it the course or the person doing/completing it that's the problem. It often gets slated on here, I know sometimes it's tounge in cheek but often it doesn't seem that way.

As a novice, I know my flaws, I have done the dsc1 and it has helped me, I think it is very useful. I don't think it gives me carte Blanche to put on a hat and go out Willy.nilly...as was described on the course I attended, it sets a standard, not necessarily a perfect standard but certainly one which can be measured, with the increase in popularity of stalking, surely it's better to have something that more people can access, wizened old experienced sages are hard to come by for many.

There's nothing wrong with it, unfortunatley some do it and think that's it, you find there's still a lot to be learned
    its a bit like the driving test really it's just a start.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    There's nothing wrong with it, so long as people accept it for what it is - "a largely knowledge based qualification which enables candidates to demonstrate their understanding of basic deer management principles and meat hygiene, and to show competence in shooting at simulated targets".

It wasn't designed to replace experience, nor as some type of qualification for gaining a lease or gaining a FAC. That it has become those - at least in some eyes - is not the fault of the Deer Stalking Certificate.

Of course there are also those who see the whole ethos of training - and the associated training providers - as some kind of license to print money, though they also seem reluctant to suggest any viable and scalable alternative.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Nothing it's a good introduction to the knowledge required to start your stalking experience. Problem is it's now being used for purposes I don't think it was intended for.

I found DSC1 to be a great 4 days. When I did it I knew nothing. When I had done it I knew a little.

DSC 2 is a test of your experience. Perhaps a test you should be capable of passing before you can take on your own permission. Why should you not be proven to be capable to be able to stalk a beast safely and deliver it to the game dealer fit for human consumption before you start to do it alone.

If there is a gap in the system it's between the two. It's gaining that practical experience in a structured way. You can't do it from behind a desk so the format would have to be practical.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I found DSC1 to be a great 4 days. When I did it I knew nothing. When I had done it I knew a little.

DSC 2 is a test of your experience. Perhaps a test you should be capable of passing before you can take on your own permission. Why should you not be proven to be capable to be able to stalk a beast safely and deliver it to the game dealer fit for human consumption before you start to do it alone.

If there is a gap in the system it's between the two. It's gaining that practical experience in a structured way. You can't do it from behind a desk so the format would have to be practical.
    I have seen a basc course designed to put the theoretical elements of the dsc1 into play, to give those new to stalking a proper run through. Stalk, shot, what to do after shot, gralloch and then butchery. This fills a gap. Nothing will ever beat experience, but that has to be got!!

Some experienced stalkers I know have never and may not ever take the dsc1 but how long before people are forced to... One chap on our course said he was doing it because he had to, he didn't elaborate as to why and wasn't overly happy for having been made to...I'd say he learnt stuff whilst there and he admitted it too, even after 25yrs stalking!

Dsc 1 is fit for purpose. The problem lies not in course content but how it is marketed.
    Dsc 1 is seen ( nwell as Personallydriving licence for deerstalking in the uk. The course is also seen as a stepping stone to prove commitment and due reason by the FEO.
    Dsc 1 will not turn the newbie into a proffessional stalker, however it will give them insight into laws and regulations, as well as teach them about food hygiene.

The dsc will prove an individuals ability to recognise species and sex, as well as shoot well enough to humanely dispatch an animal.

As a baseline I believe it to be a good course but we areall full of good ideas, which would inevitably transform the cource to dsc level ninja.

The course is good just sold as something it isnt and used as a lever by the FEo

There’s nothing wrong with DSC1, or indeed DSC2. They are good groundings to have under one’s belt, particularly if a tutoring mentor is not close at hand. However at the introduction of the DSC qualifications in Carlisle many years ago, the use of these certifications was described as being ‘private & personal, for the benefit and advancement of the incoming young deer stalker’.

Asked if they would end up as a ‘tool’ for police authorities and landowners to ‘cherry pick’ FAC holders and shooting lease applicants, the reply from a certain Peter Watson was ‘certainly not, that is not the intention nor desire of the DSC system’.

Well, perhaps not, but that is what it has become and could be seen at the outset this was where it would end up. It is now a ‘tool’ for authorities to utilise. This ‘tool’ is what has forced experienced stalkers/mentors into the DSC certification system as they have been required to be at least DSC1 certificate holders in order to retain their leases and in some cases their open FAC’s.

Many of the experienced stalkers entered into the system completely willingly, myself included. However I still find it objectionable that authorities make use of our own privately funded certifications in the way that they do.

Just my view on the subject. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Interesting thread, but I would like to come at this from an estate managers perspective. If I were to bring in forestry contractors, agricultural contractors or building contractors, I would expect them to provide evidence of their qualifications as part of their risk assesments and method statements. The same applies to letting stalking, wether paid for or free.(I don;t mean guided stalking). The stalker would be carrying out an undertaking just the same as the contractors already mentioned. By asking for DSC1/2 an estate manager would be able to prove he had taken reasonably prudent steps to ensure the stalker had a certain level of training, should anything go wrong.Back covering I know, but that is the world we live in. Whatever you think of the DSC system it is the only widely available tarining and at least is voluntary, it would be a sad day if it became a legal requirement.

I wished it had hands on as to what happens after the shot Like " hmm a dead deer ? now what do i do i know the place and how to be safe but how do i deal with it from here !! may sound silly but its a fact that some have no clue as to real hands in the sticky hot stuff! , a lot of lucky guys get there fist shooting rights on just having the dsc1 ( jealous ? yes i am lol) , and i am not having a pop ! at anyone its just what i find the dsc1 lacking.