Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windage adjustment on tangent sights

windage adjustment on tangent sights

Have just taken possession of a fine old Sako Finnbear in. 270.

Very pleased to see that it still has what appear to be the origonal iron sights.

I'm not terribly familiar with iron sights - these look like a fairly simple sort of tangent sight.

Does anyone know if/how it's possible to adjust them for windage (elevation is pretty easy, but I just can't see how to do the windage).

Thanks.

I think you are expected to learn to aim off. Sarcasm aside, lateral adjustment is often done by drifting either the front or rear sight over so that in windless conditions it shoots to point of aim. Don't actually know the rifle but am so old brought up on iron sights.

David.

I'm an old guy too. If the front sight is centered, drift the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Off center front sights are so..... unsightly.~Muir

The L61R came with a variety of iron sights, especially the rear.
    As Muir said, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullets to move.

If you can post a photo of the sight, I can tell you exactly how to adjust it. I am sitting here, inletting the walnut stock for an L61R in .375 H&H, at this moment.

The L61R is a great rifle. Hang onto it.

WARNING! You will soon want a .375 H&H, or a Vixen in .222, as a gun safe companion.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'm an old guy too. If the front sight is centered, drift the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Off center front sights are so..... unsightly.~Muir
    I agree with this. Just sometimes I have seen rifles where the adjustment is meant to be in the front sight. I hope the correction would be minimal and not too much ugly stick would need to be applied.

David.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I more or less understand the basic principles - learned to shoot with iron sights.

But I just can't find anything on these that looks as if it would adjust either front or rear sights laterally.

It would be fun to give it a go with the irons!

Can you post pictures of the front and rear sights so we can have a look before attempting to confuse you more.

David.

Pictures...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427660469505.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	54613

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427660469505.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	54613
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1427660532177.jpg