Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great friends

Great friends

I feel I must write just a little public thanks to a special friend .
    im blessed that my very good friends are all deer stalkers and all very generous people who trust the people they are friends with .
    Some of you may know Ray Jenkins as he shot his first deer in 1967 the yr of my birth ! So I think it would qualify him as an experienced stalker he was also on the very first dsc1 course and has had innumerable wildlife and habitat projects working and stalking all over the country and indeed abroad .
    i met ray when he was a guest on the shoot where I keeper and as he noticed some of the heads on my shootroom wall so the friendship began .i was invited to his special lease in the south this I'll keep to myself as I don't want the estate office littered with applications due to my public announcement lol.its a Crackin estate and I've always made the effort to go even at very short notice I've shot roe fallow and muntjac there and been treated very well by all the other guests and the other lease holder Dr Walter Keuffel from Hanover another exceptional man .Well this weekend an invite to stalk the estate for the very last time came and as sad as it would be I wouldn't miss it for the world .all I'll say as to the reason for the last stalk is rays generosity has been abused and he has given up the lease after 17 seasons and many happy outings . Many stalkers have shot their first deer there indeed a guest shot his first fallow this weekend and I've learnt many things not just about stalking but about people and the rat race that is stalking . I've had a mixed weekend of feelings and to see an old man who is still a massive hulk of a guy in frame look fragile and emotional was sometimes hard to see but we tidied the camp and skipped the rubbish cleaned the larder talked deer and woods and about how lucky we are to have been a part of the estate .we stalked for three outings and I took some nice roe but my overriding memory of ray and the seniors as we call them will be of the men not the place which is important .thanks to all the guys I've met down there but especially ray and walter proper stalkers and genuine men .
    Norma

Your mixed emotions certainly came through reading that Norma, it's a real shame that not all people value and respect friendship and generosity.

Treasure the memories and long may the friendships remain.

I take it someone who was previously invited outbid him ? If so, shame on them.

Guys thanks but I really don't want to get into any battle over wrongs and writes here just thought I'd share a little about one of my friends and hope it makes us all value the people we trust and I guess not take what we have for granted too much .
    thanks guys
    norma

It's a great shame to loose ground after such a long time. Learning the lay of the land takes years (I've never been on a bit long enough to achieve this). And once a good knowledge is gained I think the stalking is likely to be so much more enjoyable and possibly productive.
    As a newcomer to the world of stalking it amazes me that there are such polar differences in the people within the field. Mainly real great guys but still there seems to be more rats than in other walks of life. It's as if we're still cave men fighting for our survival, and "needing" to get the prize before the next man. If only people were honest and straight forward they would gain so much more than simply having their name on a lease.
    I hope you and your friends manage to continue to stalk together and have some more memorable days out in the field. Albeit new fields.

you will never forget the times you had,regards doug,
    DONT START

I stalked a forest for 17 years, initially with a very good friend then later on my own. We had some fantastic times there and many of our mutual friends and acquaintances joined us. Lots of people shot their first deer. We all got to know the forest, the area and the people very well. I made a number of new friends.

Towards the end the owner's had to sell up, I tried to carry on with the new owner but his Agents wanted a rent to be paid whereas before it was all done with a handshake and a gentlemans agreement. (All proper paperwork was still done) I know most of you will be thinking 'why should he expect to get his stalking for free' but thats the way it used to be, good guys did a good job and everyone was happy. I did pay the rent for two years but it changed everything, all of the goodwill was gone.

I decided to put in one last trip, I invited an old friend to come and do a couple of DSC2 stalks which went very well. After she had gone home I took my old open sighted .275 and my dog and we had a great stalk into an adult roe doe which resulted in a good satisfying shot, I could have shot another but I didn't. I gralloched her with a knife that I had made myself then went home and posted the keys to the forest back to the Agent.

Not meant to be a sob story as the place had many fantastic memories.

I think you've nailed it glyn it's not so much the place although the estate is brilliant it's the fact it was key as a centre for bringing friends together at the same time it would easily handle 8 stalkers in one session without having to go to the same seats again in the evening .ray and the seniors nurtured another generation of stalkers something they can be very proud of .
    At this point in my life this has made me question quite a few things I've done and going to do with regards to stalking and my close friends .your family and friends are seriously important that has become only too apparent .
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    I think you've nailed it glyn it's not so much the place although the estate is brilliant it's the fact it was key as a centre for bringing friends together at the same time it would easily handle 8 stalkers in one session without having to go to the same seats again in the evening .ray and the seniors nurtured another generation of stalkers something they can be very proud of .
    At this point in my life this has made me question quite a few things I've done and going to do with regards to stalking and my close friends .your family and friends are seriously important that has become only too apparent .
    norma
    Doug I don't think it's luck that you made good friends ,your enthusiasm for stalking came across on the couple of occasions I've been in your company I don't think for one moment you've got any reason to evaluate yourself stick to your principles and everything else will fall into place hope your well. Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by td View Post
    Doug I don't think it's luck that you made good friends ,your enthusiasm for stalking came across on the couple of occasions I've been in your company I don't think for one moment you've got any reason to evaluate yourself stick to your principles and everything else will fall into place hope your well. Trevor
    I have spent 25 years in the Stalking/countryside world and have always tried to be one of the good guys but, the sad fact of the matter is that the good guys don't always come out on top. This doesn't mean that the shysters always win either but the odds seem to be stacked in their favour!

The reality is that gentlemans agreements, principles, professionalism, honesty etc have probably had their day. I am going to have to retrain!

On that note this grumpy old dinosaur is going for a run to let off steam!