Thread: firearm certificate query

firearm certificate query

I have agreed the sale of my .17 HMR to a mate who said he had a slot for one on his ticket, he came round yesterday to do the deal and upon looking at his ticket he has had one on his ticket previously ( he looked after one of his mates when he went travelling ) he has now given him it back and his ticket states the date of transfer,he has spoken to our local FEO and he says he said " if you have given the rifle back you still can purchase another without having to have the other removed from your certificate ?" Is this true ?this is the first rifle I have sold privately and have held off the deal for some clarification from the Local Firearm Department tomorrow . Hope this makes sense
    Brian

That doesn't sound correct. I suspect he needs to put the ticket back in for a 1 for 1 variation to create the correct vacant 'slot' for the 17HMR.

hh

In a word no.
    the slot on his ticket has been filled, even though he has disposed of the rifle the slot has in effect been used and cannot be used again, he will have to send his ticket in and have the slot renewed. Basically it's a one for one variation.

If what he says is a true reflection of the conversation someone should tell that FEO to read and understand 10.61 of the HO Guidance before he/she drops anyone in the ****.

The minimum you can expect if making the transfer as described in the OP is an interview without coffee, the most would be loss of your FAC and possible visit to the beak.
    Last edited by Orion; 29-03-2015 at 10:37.

I would imagine the feo was correct on the assumption that had he given the rifle back to the original owner then it would/should have been taken off of his FC, therefore leaving a vacant slot.
    Probably a misunderstanding of the conversation between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I would imagine the feo was correct on the assumption that had he given the rifle back to the original owner then it would/should have been taken off of his FC, therefore leaving a vacant slot.
    Probably a misunderstanding of the conversation between the two.
    Think you are spot on there.

Just to make it clear.. Think of the slots effectively being for firearm serial numbers rather than a weapon of the stated caliber.. In other words, once that empty slot has wen replaced by a serial number it is done.. The slots are single use only. If you want another or different rifle in said calibre then a fresh, brand new 'single use' slot needs to be created.
    Last edited by Vipa; 29-03-2015 at 12:21.

Get him to send his FAC off for a 1 for 1 and come back when his licence has an entirely empty slot

A has been previously stated he no longer has the rifle but needs to have the slot for a .17HMR freed up before you can sell and transfer it across to him. A little bit of advice for you, if you are getting another. 17HMR or indeed another calibre that you have good reason to possess then you will get a one for one without any charge to you. If you do not intend to get a .17HMR or another calibre don't take this off your FAC, free up the slot, but leave tge .17HMR on there. That way if you do decide to get another rifle even of another calibre you can get another one for one variation free of charge.