Thermal spotter

Double four

I think I am going to dip my toes into thermal for spotting but I really don't know much about it, what is the best unit for around 2k I know its not the biggest budget but this nv job is rapidly depleting my savings was looking at one of theses (guide IR 510-384) which if you shop about can get for just over £1800 also been looking at flir .
Need advice please as I have already made some costly mistakes with nv purchaces and has anyone got anything s/h ??

What they said on nv forum ........ it was a factual reply to your question. Marky's tried most of them and Bruce has reached the stage of building his own.

I have the guide and cannot fault it. I have used models costing more than twice as much and the difference is not huge. I use mine for spotting out to about 500 meters and it finds roe no bother at this range, reds more than double this. In ideal conditions it can do way more than this with practice. A thermal needs some basic rules for its use, and basically get as much sky out of the view as possible. It has the advantage of a fast refresh rate, 50hz i think, and way better than the 9 hz of the flir (i may be wrong with the exact figures) and this is a huge advantage, It means that the picture is viewed like a video, and not as a series of stills and short video clips, where a target may be missed. This is not the most scientific description but you will get the idea.

I shoot regularly with Bruce, he lives just 200 yards away. His own unit is spectacular, but not cheap. I expect the components cost more than my unit. However Bruce is not doing this to save money, but to make the perfect shooting unit. it is quite some unit

And as Bruce says, the Pulsar HD38S is the biggest bang for the buck at the moment (probably). I know Bruce is after perfection, but let's be honest here, he's one of the few folk capable of doing it so good luck to him :thumb:

Bruce is a legend as far as I'm concerned with. Digital NV & as for his thermal he build as Dave says ....wow phenomenal !!!
It cost as much or more I guess than some bought units , but I bet it's cheap in long run as it be the same performance as units at 12-15k mark

So whatever Briuce has recommended I'll say +1
:)

If you really can't get budget to the pulsar , I've looked thru Dave's guide 510 & it's bloody good but will not beat the pulsar as the lenses on the end is smaller diameter compared to the pulsar ....

Paul

Yep, it's all about budget, and justifying it for what after all is a toy to most of us. I hadn't got enough in the toy fund, and I was unsure whether I wanted one, when I bought mine so I bought used cheaper model. I'm happy with it on my shoots as there's only cattle and horses that can't be shot so the resolution is good enough.
later I shall upgrade however ............... if you think nv is addictive wait until you get thermal :eek:

Yes Paul, Bruce is something again when it comes to all this electronic stuff, and he has a way of explaining it so even buffoons like me can understand.

And as Bruce says, the Pulsar HD38S is the biggest bang for the buck at the moment (probably). I know Bruce is after perfection, but let's be honest here, he's one of the few folk capable of doing it so good luck to him :thumb:

As above.

Ive been lucky enough to be lent a pulsar HD38S and have to say it works a treat. The first time out with it my mate was walking just in front with his bino's he stopped to scan, didn't see anything so started to move just as I lifted the thermal to have a look I picked one up straight away stopped him told him where it was and found he'd just looked there! The doe 80 yds in front of us just behind some heather, all I could see was its head. Took 5 min before we found it in Bino's (Zeiss Bgat) and a further 10 before we could take a shot. There is no doubt in my mind that without it we would of bounced her.

Im still to try it on foxes.

Rick

Hi Double four,

Our most popular selling thermal is the WT37 Thermal Imager.

I can and have (irrespective of price) used all of the popular units mentioned, Guide IR 510-384, HD38S and HD50S but it's the WT37 that comes out with us when we're out shooting.

It's far more robust, submersible, very easily replaceable battery packs, has a better faster shutterless core and 800x600 OLED display, plus has the ability of on board recording. For the consumer it's a bonus as they come in at £2395 Inc. VAT.

Having said that, if you only just want to spot deer and then swap to the bins or rifle scope for final ID woodland stalking then the IR 510-384 should suffice and is a very compact unit. If you want to do any foxing or bunny bashing then the WT37 would be the one to go for.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Double four,

Our most popular selling thermal is the WT37 Thermal Imager.

I can and have (irrespective of price) used all of the popular units mentioned, Guide IR 510-384, HD38S and HD50S but it's the WT37 that comes out with us when we're out shooting.

It's far more robust, submersible, very easily replaceable battery packs, has a better faster shutterless core and 800x600 OLED display, plus has the ability of on board recording. For the consumer it's a bonus as they come in at £2395 Inc. VAT.

Having said that, if you only just want to spot deer and then swap to the bins or rifle scope for final ID woodland stalking then the IR 510-384 should suffice and is a very compact unit. If you want to do any foxing or bunny bashing then the WT37 would be the one to go for.

Cheers

Clive

Forget the WT37 and buy the pulsar HD at least you get a response from them.

cheers Neil.

Hi Neil,

That's a bit of a worry. Could you drop me an e-mail to mail@nvscopes.com with your phone number, I can cross reference it with our records then to see what's happened here.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive,

It's not only myself but also mates of mine who have all not succeeded in obtaining a call back from you and the lady answering you're phone knows nothing about the products you sell.
when you're parting with thousands of pounds of hard earned money you want to see what you're buying in the flesh or at least speak to someone who can answer you're questions.

cheers Neil.

Hi Neil,

It would be very helpful if you could drop me an e-mail with your number so that I can check back through the message records and see what's happened here.

We have had some issues with the call centre occasionally not passing on messages when they should so the info would help us and our other customers out if we can get that part of the service improved.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive,

I hope this helps out,

You would have had several calls from 01908 phone numbers from myself, George , Simon & Dave all of us were in the market for NV.

Being new to NV we all wanted to speak to people to get the best advise, and it's nice to try and trade with people the old fashioned way face to face especially when its the sort of money NV kit is.

cheers Neil.

Hi Clive,

I hope this helps out,

You would have had several calls from 01908 phone numbers from myself, George , Simon & Dave all of us were in the market for NV.

Being new to NV we all wanted to speak to people to get the best advise, and it's nice to try and trade with people the old fashioned way face to face especially when its the sort of money NV kit is.

cheers Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info. The call centre send me a complete record of every call they handle including names, phone numbers and transcript which I have archived here.

I've just done a quick search and got zero results for yours or indeed any of the other names you mentioned from the 01908 area code and I did go back several years!

Are you sure it was us you were calling?

Please do drop me an e-mail or pm with your full name and phone number so I can be doubly sure.

Cheers

Clive

I also called last week, wanting some information, left my details heard nothing back in fact its been over a week... lets be honest, every other topic its the same thing from people, its actually comical.

Why would you have a "call centre" take your 1st point of business ?!
Sure if I was a business I would want my customers contacting me or another within the business that knew the products

Surely whatever your paying for that can cover someone ... I Dunnoe ... Another family member a wage & " keep in house"

Doesn't give a great impression & make me think about spending my hard earned with you.

Just a view point from a neutral view

Paul

I can see the appeal of 'outsourcing' the phone answering, as many small businesses know it can really interrupt production to be constantly breaking off to pick up the phone.

on the other hand something appears to be not functioning with your phone answering service......

I also called last week, wanting some information, left my details heard nothing back in fact its been over a week... lets be honest, every other topic its the same thing from people, its actually comical.

Hi .243Hunter,

Could you also drop me a pm or e-mail to mail@nvscopes.com with your details so I can check the records please? I know there were at least a couple of people I called back last week who I left voicemails with as there was no answer.

Cheers

Clive

Back