Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: summer coat

summer coat

Was glassing for pigeons on friday past,spotted two bucks,one follower and a mature buck. Mature buck was in about 75% summer coat. Is this early or do i just not get out enough. five does in same area non out of winter coat.

Some people will disagree, but observing nature the last few years it is rather noticeable how everything seems to be getting earlier and earlier when it comes to signs of Spring. The effects of seasons being muddled up. Global warming and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Some people will disagree, but observing nature the last few years it is rather noticeable how everything seems to be getting earlier and earlier when it comes to signs of Spring. The effects of seasons being muddled up. Global warming and all that...
    Not sure I can agree about early signs of spring, looking out this morning on a white landscape.

Not seen any around here few just starting to look rough at the back of the neck and only seen two buck anywhere near clean we've had frost most days last week for those that arose early enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Not wanting to get into a climate change debate, but aren't deer's annual cycles are controlled by day length, not climate?

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Same as boggy snow this morning and yes its very early for summer coat and normally old ones are last.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Not wanting to get into a climate change debate, but aren't deer's annual cycles are controlled by day length, not climate?

Sharkey
    All mixed up together.

Very few things are strictly day lenth dependent - it's far too risky to have something that's completely unaffected by actual conditions. Even in places with much more consistent annual weather patterns than the UK, the 1st April can be radically different from one year to the next.

My understanding of most of the major tranisitions in deer is that the primary factor is body condition, which itself is often a function of the food availability going into winter - so something like coat change in April-May and even antler growth in June-July can be strongly affected by weather conditions in Sept-Oct the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by tignme View Post
    Was glassing for pigeons on friday past,spotted two bucks,one follower and a mature buck. Mature buck was in about 75% summer coat. Is this early or do i just not get out enough. five does in same area non out of winter coat.
    What is more odd is that it was the older buck that had changed which would indicate that he is slightly abnormal. Older males change their antlers first and their coats last compared to younger males.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    What is more odd is that it was the older buck that had changed which would indicate that he is slightly abnormal. Older males change their antlers first and their coats last compared to younger males.
    MS
    M S. in what way do you think buck would be abnormal. He was in velvet as was follower. He appeared to be a normal six pointer.My friend who was there says one of the five does was a buck as well. (Not confirmed) I would normally shoot the youngsters first but you have set a seed now so after observation over the next few weeks i may take the mature buck.

On the theme of things happening earlier these days I was out with leec6.5 on 18th February and got a good clear view of a mature buck who was completely clean. Struck us both as exceptionally early.
    So much to learn and so little time left