Thread: .234 head selection

.234 head selection

Hi

At the moment I am reloading Noslar .308 heads and am now starting to reload Noslar .243 95gr heads. A friend of mine informed me that the head was not the best for .243. I understand that everyone has an option. But he has no evidence to counter my round selection. (He said Barnes, head weight I can not remember) Anyone has exposure to this round and can shed some light in the area

Quote Originally Posted by rid66 View Post
    Hi

At the moment I am reloading Noslar .308 heads and am now starting to reload Noslar .243 95gr heads. A friend of mine informed me that the head was not the best for .243. I understand that everyone has an option. But he has no evidence to counter my round selection. (He said Barnes, head weight I can not remember) Anyone has exposure to this round and can shed some light in the area
    utter nonsense, the 95g partition in .243 is truly excellent in performance on any uk game and can take the largest stags in its stride if asked to do so. Fast but controlled expansion, good weight retention, and almost guaranteed exit for blood trails. Doesn't destroy the meat either.

I actually think the barnes are far too stout for the game most people use .243's for.

Nathan makes some interesting comments Knowledgebase You can select the specific cartridge you are interested in and read up about it.

Regards

JCS

Im new to this forum stuff but I have just replied.

But many thanks for your back up on my round chose

Thank you for putting my mind at rest as I have a few boxes of 80 to 95 gr heads. So happy reloading. I will have a look on the Noslar website but in the box the little ticket has no mention of n140 powder. Off the top of you head is this a powder that reloaders use with this head

Quote Originally Posted by rid66 View Post
    Thank you for putting my mind at rest as I have a few boxes of 80 to 95 gr heads. So happy reloading. I will have a look on the Noslar website but in the box the little ticket has no mention of n140 powder. Off the top of you head is this a powder that reloaders use with this head
    N140 is good in your .308, but N160 is a better choice for the heavier bullets in your 243 Win.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/243-winchester/

.243 Winchester - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

Regards

JCS

Rid66,

The Nosler 95gr BT is a great round .243 but some rifles are really "round sensitive" and dont like the longer, heavy bullet.

Do you know the twist rate of your rifle barrel? You might find a slightly lighter bullet eg Sierra Gameking 85gr or Nos Partition 85gr performs better

From a 1:10 twist 22" barrel I find with a Nosler 95gr BT then 43.5grains of N160 gives a good group. Also look at RL22 (approx 47.5 gr), RL17 (approx 43gr) and N550 (42 gr)...but start low and work up your own groups

Good Luck

DT