Tikka T3 Mag too short for .308

mChavez

Hi All,

I've encountered the following problem on my tikka T3: the .308 mag is way too short for feeding rounds set up for low (say, 20thou) jump. Looks like it's been made for the 7.62 NATO spec to take factory ammo and it's not happy with longer hand-loads.

Would buying an "extended" mag solve this problem? It looks like there are mags for .270 available that will take a longer .308 bullet.
Are there any cheaper alternatives (that still work well) than the branded tikka mags for £50?

Finally, if I was to get the large calibre mag, will it still feed the short .308 factory loads?

Thanks for your help!

You tend to find that most cartridges will shoot with a "longer" jump to the lands.

Unless you desperately want the bullets .020", off why bother?

I'm sure that you could get the bolt stop modified or changed for the long action cartridge version. Then you could use the .30-06/270/.25-06 magazine in your t3. However, I'm not sure how much the replacement bolt stop will cost.

The action is the same length of travel on a .243/.308 as it is on a 30-06. I have both. The only difference is the spacer in the back of the magazine.

ATB

Jon

Redmist,

We're talking about 140 thou jump here - that seems way too much.

Very good point about the bolt travel - it won't go as far as the large calibre mag. Strange - I though T3 had a universal action for all calibres!

Well, looks like this will have to be a mag modification then!

The T3 action comes in one length. The only difference (bolt faces aside) is the bolt stop (small bolt release catch). This can be changed easily to enable further bolt travel - you will just need to buy the new part or modify the existing one.

While this is possible, I don't see the need for bullets almost touching the lands if you can get decent accuracy with cartridges that fit your magazine.

I'm pretty certain you can just remove the spacer from the back of the magazine. As said above, the T3 has a one size fits all action...

Redmist,

We're talking about 140 thou jump here - that seems way too much.

Very good point about the bolt travel - it won't go as far as the large calibre mag. Strange - I though T3 had a universal action for all calibres!

Well, looks like this will have to be a mag modification then!
so how does it shoot at the moment?

Thanks guys.

kennyc, factory Sako just about holds an inch at a 100 yards, but I'm used to my shots cloverleafing, if not going through the same hole at such distance.

Thanks guys.

kennyc, factory Sako just about holds an inch at a 100 yards, but I'm used to my shots cloverleafing, if not going through the same hole at such distance.
and reloads? start at standard .308 COAL and see how that works, you may not need to chase the feather too much, the .308 seems pretty forgiving.

Back