Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fur Has Landed (Nordik Plain Pain Field Test)

The Fur Has Landed (Nordik Plain Pain Field Test)

As I eased the 22 Hornet’s barrel through a gap in the lower fence and nestled the stock atop my waist pack an ominous bank of grey cloud slid in from the East. Soon rain was whipping at my left ear. I replaced my hat with the snug hood of a Cabela’s outfitter wool camo jacket and hunkered down for a spot of accelerated Sunday morning fox calling with the relatively new Nordik Plain Pain varmint call.

An hour later I figured any sensible fox would be in the shelter of a wood rather than exposed meadow so off I headed to my favourite woodland ambush point. Its status as much to do with the comfy tree I’ve been known to fall asleep against as it’s suitability for varmint calling!

Once I had the twin sticks positioned and rifle covering the approach of any interested fox I commenced a 20 second death sequence on the Plain Pain. It sounded convincing to my ears. Two minutes passed and I couldn’t resist a further blow but this time; for the hell of it, on the side of the call that gives a deeper and raspier pitch. I hadn’t finished blowing when off to my far left I spotted movement. Of course the twin sticks were in the wrong place and there was no time to reposition so out of the V came the rifle and up into off hand as the now train-like approach told me this was not going to be an opportunity for precision shooting but, with the nearest 16 gauge equipped Drilling some 60 miles away in West London, I figured I’d better get on with it.

Fifteen yards from me the fox disappeared behind a fallen tree. As I strained to place the crosshair where I guessed the critter might reappear it arrived before my spine had time to fully engage with the challenge. It was now or never. Fox hair exploded into the damp March morning and fell like confetti. The fox dropped on the spot as I ejected the spent RWS case c/o the pleasingly oversized Nordik Predator slip-on rubber bolt knob.

The Nordik Plain Pain call is without doubt an awkwardly named bit of kit but you if you can get over this minor inconvenience buy one.
    You won’t be disappointed.

Cheers

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 30-03-2015 at 08:30.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Impressive....I'm just wondering how long it then took you to find a tree with a suitable gun rest?!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Nice right up, got your heart pumping for a second did it?

well done richard nice write up as well it worked for me two out of three the other week,hmmm i wonder if roe like it,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Impressive....I'm just wondering how long it then took you to find a tree with a suitable gun rest?!
    However long it took to walk 15 yards.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach2986 View Post
    Nice right up, got your heart pumping for a second did it?
    The day it doesn’t I’ll pass on my oversized Nordik Predator slip-on bolt knob!

K

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    As much as I enjoyed the story, it sounded like a excerpt from The Shooting show with its unashamed product placement.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the story, it sounded like a excerpt from The Shooting show with its unashamed product placement.
    And to think I didn’t mention:

a. Waistpack by Maxpedition
    b. Twin sticks by Predator Sniper Styx
    c. Binos by Leica
    d. Bushcraft knife by Alan Wood
    e. Bioflex hi-viz ammo holder by Skirts Plus
    f. Single stick c/o Corylus avellana

You may have a point.

Cheers!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    And to think I didn’t mention: