25-06 100 grain or 120 grain gamekings for Sika and Reds

night stalker

I've always used 100 grain NBT's in my 25-06 for roe but they have become really hard to come by near me so I've been trying 100 grain gamekings which are half the price and group nearly as well. So far I've only shot 2 with the gamekings one under 25 yds one at longer range in both cases meat damage wasn't too excessive.

Next season I'm looking to go for a Sika and a Red with my 25-06 so with that in mind has anyone used the 100 grain gamekings on Sika or Reds and what kind of results did you have. Also if you don't think they are any good have you tried the 120 grain gamekings or 120 grain Speer grand slam on them.

Thanks

Rick

In your shoes I'd check out the Sierra Prohunter 100gn #1620 bullet. The slightly thicker jacket than the GK on them gives rather more penetration without loss of the rapid expansion. I've shot both sika and reds using them with perfectly good results also, neither do I see a need to go to the 120gn bullet.
They are a flat base spitzer bullet rather than a boat tail, but the sectional densities are the same. Nothing in it re. BC.
I drive mine at 3300fps MV & the only drawback is that Sierra prices have just gone up! ATB

I don't think an animal on these shores will ask for a second one of either before keeling over, just choose whichever handiest

Hi Rick.
If you want Nosler BT then Brownells UK show them in stock. Just have them sent to your favourite RFD. :D

Yorkie.

If you lean toward Nosler, try the 115 and 120-gr Partition, and the Accubond, at the speeds of the .25-06. I have never shot anything large with my .257 Roberts, which is a bit slower, but know someone from my home town who took a 400-lb elk with one shot from his .257R, using Federal Premium 120-gr Nosler - complete pass through the ribs, heart, lungs, ribs and out.

Thanks For the answers,

Yorkie I think kirklees guns may have a couple of boxes left at £21 but through Midway its another £10 inc postage to Ian.

Rick

i have a box of nostler 100 grain bt hunting rounds i would swap for some nostler 85 grain bt varmint.

Thanks for the offer Jay I can't even get the 85's!

Yorkie I've not tried the 115 VLD Hunting yet, I might have to get some it's just a lot of money if they do t work! Ive not even tried the 30 cal ones you gave me as my 30-06 is at proof at the moment.

Rick

Back